Chapter 30

*Alexi*

"Alright, so have you guys come up with an idea for nationals?" Ms. Susan asks. it's friday now and I'm at acapella practice. for the past week or so we've been trying to figure out what we want to do for the different stages of nationals. We've decided on what we're doing for the county and state shows, and we've already started practicing, but we still have to decide on what to do for nationals. 

Last year we made it all the way to nationals, which was great, and we even placed well, but this year we want to win. 

When no one says anything, Ms. Susan continues. 

"Well, here's what I want you guys to do. I want you all to get in a new environment to generate some new ideas, and I want you to work together to do. This weekend I need you all to meet up and figure out what we're doing, ok? I trust that you all can come up with exactly what we need to win," Ms. susan says, "well, that's about it for practice then." before anyone leaves we all turn to each other in a circle. 

"So, where are we meeting? a cafe?" Maggie asks.

"I don't think we should go anywhere public 'cause we're probably gonna have to sing some stuff and we don't want to be a disturbance," Stella tells her sister. 

"Ok so who's house then," Maggie asks, "not ours though, our parents are having some friends over." 

"Yeah, not at mine either, my mom hates when i have people over when she's out of town," Missy explains.

"Same," Rachel says. 

"Ooh, we should go to Alexi's place, his sister adorable," Sammy says.

"Ok, is that alright with you, Alexi?" Stella asks me.

"Yeah, that's fine." 

"K, great, so saturday?" Stella asks the group and they all agree. 

"Omg! I have the best idea, we should totally have a sleepover! It would be so fun and we could really benefit from some quality time as a team!" Missy says excitedly and everyone starts agreeing with her, me included. I haven't really spent a lot of time with my friends lately so this will be fun. We all agree on a time before parting ways. 

When I get inside the car my papa is waiting for me. 

"Hey, mijo, how was practice?" my papa asks. 

"It was great! The group is all coming over for a sleepover tomorrow so we can work on our show for nationals," I tell him. 

"Wow, sounds like fun," he says before driving off towards our house. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before everyone comes over I make sure to get some snacks and drinks at the store. So far I have some chips and soda in the basket, but currently I'm in the candy section trying to decide between sour patch kids and sweet tart ropes. 

I can't decide and instead I just but both in my basket. 

"Throwing a party?" a voice asks next to. I turn to see an man in his fifties maybe. He has salt and pepper hair and gray eyes. He's wearing blue jeans, a black tee shirt, and a leather jacket. He has an odd herbal smell to him. A bad kind of herbal, the kind that makes you want to sneeze. In fact, his whole vibe is odd, off putting even, but I can't tell why. 

"A sleepover actually," I replied and turned to leave but he kept talking. 

"Oh, really? You know, I used to have sleepovers all the time when I was younger. Yeah, I used to be quite a fun guy but as you get older you tend to mellow out, you'll see. Anyways, I'll let you get back to your shopping and I hope you have a wonderful time with your friends, Alexi." the man then waves and walks away. 

I quickly finish my shopping, pay for everything, and head out of the store, wanting nothing more than to distance myself from who ever that was. The walk home is short, only about 5 minutes. When I get back I set out all the snacks and put the soda in the fridge to keep it cool. As I'm putting everything away, a thought occurs to me. 

How did he know my name? 

I definitely didn't tell him my name and I've never met him before, I would have remembered if I had, so how did he know my name? Thinking about that only makes me more creeped out by the whole interaction. 

Also, what was that smell? 

Whatever it was I didn't like it. It made me feel weird, like it was harder to breath or something. 

I'm pulled away from my thoughts when my friends knock on the door.