Chapter 18

*Alexi*

After walking through the woods, we arrive back at the picnic and get dressed. Our clothes our a little damaged from shifting but there still wearable. When we're both dressed Cal turns to me and says,

"Your hair looks really good like that."

"Oh, thanks," I say. I touch the back of my neck, remembering the mark that's now there.  Although it was confusing at first, I'm glad last night happened. I love Cal with all my heart. 

We walk, hand in hand, back to Cal's truck. When we get in the car I have to make sure I don't sit on my hair, now that it's so long. As we drive, Cal has my hand in his again and I love the sensation I feel from his touch. During the drive, I finally am able to realize what happened. I'm a werewolf. Like an actual werewolf. It's weird because I'm shocked, but then again, I'm not. I guess, subconsciously, I always knew I was different, but I didn't realize 'different' meant 'not human'. Even though I should be feeling weird in my new body, with my heightened senses and strength, but I've never felt more at home in my body before. Especially the hair, I love the hair. 

And the shifting. 

It hurt at first, sure, but afterward it was amazing and I find myself yearning for it again. All I want to do is shift and run freely with my mate. 

When I walk in my house, I can smell my dad before I see him. The smell of a vampire is pungent, like metallic blood mixed with the frosty air of winter. He's in the kitchen cooking my sister, who's playing wither her toys in the living room, breakfast. I can hear my mom working in the garage, and my papa in his office. When I walk through the door, Cal at my trail, my dad peeks out from the kitchen, takes on look at me, and realizes what's happen. 

"Hi," I say dully. He just stares at me for a while before sighing and getting back to cooking eggs. I'm surprised by his nonchalant reaction. "Umm, your not gonna say anything?" I ask. 

"What's there to say? I'm guessing Lupa already talked to you." he says. 

"Yeah..." I say, trailing off, not knowing what else to say. After a stretch of silence my dad asks,

"You boys hungry?"

"Yes," Cal replies, barely a second after my dad asks. I sigh and take a seat at the table with Cal sliding in next to me. 

"El, would be a dear and go tell your mom and papa that breakfast is ready?" my dad asked my little sister. 

"Yep!," she says enthusiastically, and runs off. We sit there for a while listening to the sound of bacon grease bubbling over the stove. When El finally comes back my mom and papa follow behind her. When they see me they understand what's happened. They look to Cal, then to me, then back to Cal, who has his eyes glued to the table.  

"Siriously?" my mom says annoyed, "This guy's your mate?" my mom says unimpressed. Cal looks up at my mom, his mouth hanging open. 

"Yep," I say in a disappointed tone, causing Cal to look at me with sad puppy dog eyes and I roll my eyes; but I grab his hand and give it a squeeze so he knows I'm joking. His face lights up at the gesture. he's a total puppy, I think plainly. 

My papa and mom walk over to the table and sit across from us, while my little sister runs up to me and jumps on my lap, then starts playing with my hair. 

"So, you just had to go and mark him, little wolf boy," my papa says, causing Cal to growl. I smack the back of his head and say,

"Don't growl at my papa," I said in a half sirous half playful tone that causes him to shut up real quick. My papa just smirks at Cal in victory. 

"Ali, why's your hair longer?" Elsie looked up at me and asked. 

"That's a good question El, but I actually don't know either," I replied. She mumbled something that I can't make out then says,

"I like it, it's soft," she pauses then says, "but my hairs still better." I smile.

"Oh, of course, your hair's the best in the whole world," I say and she giggles just as my dad comes into the dining room carrying plates of food. We eat our breakfast peacefully and I feel amazing.