Chapter 3

*Alexi*

Cassie is telling me about some show she watched last night during lunch, but I'm not really listening. Instead I'm looking right at table behind her, at Cal. He stops talking and follows my gaze.

"Oh. My. god. Are you, like, totally crushing on Cal right now?!" Cassie says pulling my attention to her. 

"Well, yeah, maybe...yeah, definitely," I say slowly. 

"Geez, dude, I mean I know your gay and all but Cal? Seriously?" She says in a questioning tone. 

"Yes, he is quite attractive and for some reason I'm being, like, drawn to hm, or something. And also your a lesbian so you can't talk." 

"Ok, dude, whatevs'. You do you, but also, he's totally straight." 

"Well maybe he's like bi or something," I say in a hopeful tone. 

"Hmm, maybe, but I don't know,"she says.

"You don't know what? anything useful?" says Danny as he drops his bag on the ground forcefully and slides down to our table. Danny is Cassie's twin brother and the vice captain on the varsity basketball team at school. It's not surprising with his height and all. 

"Shut it, asshole, we're talking about Alexi's little crush," she says giving her brother a punch in the arm. 

"Oooh, a crush, huh. Who?" Danny asks excitedly.

"Cal," Cass responds. 

"Seriously!?" he says loudly.

"Calm down," I say trying to get him to lower his voice. Cal is literally sitting right behind him. 

"Cal. Like the popular captain of the basketball team Cal?" Danny asks with his eyes wide in surprise. 

"Yep" I reply.

"The one on my team?" He asks. 

"Yes. What other captain of the basketball team Cal is there." I say in an obviously-you-idiot kind of tone. 

"Well, I don't know what you see in him." Danny says.

"That's what I said!" Cassie says at her brother comment. 

"Ok guys we get it, you don't approve of my crush." I state, as I put my hands up defensively. 

"Well it's not that we don't approve, we just don't get why you like him in the first place,"Cassie says. 

"I don't exactly know either, it's like it's subconscious. Also you guys both like girls so you just don't understand how attractive he is." I say with a smirk. 

"Ok, whatever bro, anyways, you got acapella tonight?" Danny asks as he crosses his arms and leans back in his chair. 

"I sure do, we started practicing for the homecoming show over summer break and we're pretty much set now," I tell them. I don't really like doing sports, but my parents wanted me to do an after school activity, so I choose acapella. I've been doing it since 6th grade and I love it. Ms. Susan, my acapella instructor, says I have the voice of an angel, though I don't really think that's true; but ever since I first started acapella I keep getting leading roles. I don't ask for them or audition for them, Ms. Susan just tells us what we're singing based off what she knows we can do. 

So for this year's homecoming performance we're singing Come Together by The Beatles, one of my favorite songs, and I'm going the lead vocals. I probably should be nervous, singing in front of 2,000 judgemental teens, but when ever I sing all my worries and fear seem to drift away.  

"Oh, also, do you think you could give me a ride home tonight after practice? There's some sort of orientation thing for my little sister tonight that my parents have to go to, so they cant pick me up," I asked to know one particularly, because Cassie and Danny both ride home together. 

"Aww, I can't believe you sister's starting kindergarten already, she's so adorable. Anyway, sorry but no, our parents are picking us up straight from practice to go to my grandma's house. apparently it's her birthday, or something." Cassie says with an annoyed tone.  

"Alright then, guess I'm talking the bus," I respond. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the bell signaling the end of school rings I head straight towards the band room, where my acapella group practices. 

"Hey, what's up snow white?" Sammy says as I enter the room. 

"You know that doesnt even make sense, right? Snow white's hair is black." I say, rolling my eyes. 

"Pshh, that doesn't matter, your snow white to me, bud." I scuff at the comment. Sammy is my best friend in my acapella group. We're both two gay guys who like to sing, so we get along pretty well.  

I set my stuff down next to my seat and wait for practice to start. When Ms. Susan enters the room she addresses everyone and we begin practice. Everything goes great. We sound great and we barely made any mistakes. We're right on track to give a killer performance at homecoming in September. 

After practice, I make my way over to the bus stop to wait. Practice gets out at 5:45 but the bus doesn't get there until 6:15 so I have about half an hour to wait. By 6:00 all the people in my acapella group have already gone home and the basketballers start filing out of the athletic entrance of the school, having there practice be over at six. 

By 6:15 there no sign of the bus. Everyone has gone home so it's just me standing by a sign in the dark. 

"Shit, I really don't want to walk home right now." I say in a whisper. 

"I can give you a ride if you want," someone says from behind me, causing me jump back and land straight into this strangers arms. I look up to see who's now holding me up. It's Cal, my crush. What's he still doing here? I ask myself. His touch against my skin sends hot sparks through my body. 

I pull away from him, startled by the feeling, but as soon as I do I find myself craving his touch again. 

"Hi," I say softly. 

"Hey," He replies. Then he repeats his question, "I saw you waiting here for the bus, but I dont think its coming, so you want a ride home?" 

"Oh, no, it's fine, I'll just walk." Why did I have to say that? That's not true, I do want a ride home, especially if it's from Cal. 

"Please, I insist." Well I guess if he's insisting...

"Alright, if you don't mind"

"Of course I don't mind, your names Alexi right? That's a pretty name," Cal says in a sweet tone. 

"Oh, well, thanks, and your Cal?" I ask. 

"The one and only," he responds. 

He shows me to his car and I hop in the passenger's seat. 

Thanks for reading! 

Tell me what you think so far in the comments ;)