Chapter Twelve

Although the information he gives me is detailed, one thing really sticks out to me.

"You said this ... process... may be different since I'm human, right?" Jake nods his head. "So how many other wolves have a human for a mate?" I ask again.

He hesitates for a second, pondering how to answer. "There was one other recording in history, about ninety two years ago. It wasn't detailed though." I raise my eyebrow. I could tell he was being vague with that response, but I decide I'll come back to it later.

"If there is a human world, is there a wolf world?" I ask.

"Sure. Wolves used to live in solitary, the only humans we ever came in contact with were ones that got lost on our lands. We always returned them back to their land, but eventually we found it easier just to interact with them."

"Oh okay." I say. Genius answer, Jen.

It is quiet and Jake is shifting in his seat. I scoot a way from him and slouch my shoulders. Eventually Jake gets up and kneels directly in front of me. "Is there anything else you need to know?" He softly inquires.

I let out a low chuckle and throw my head back. "Oh, yeah. After all this stuff you're cramming into my brain I have absolutely no questions." I state, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "In fact, I'm okay just going along believing all this bull crap you're putting in my brain, just so I don't have to think about it anymore." Jake seems to consider my words as if he doesn't catch my sarcasm.

"I.....I just wanted you to know-"

"Oh don't worry, I know everything now. I totally get you now."

"So, do you believe me?" He asks skeptically.

"I mean it's hard not to." I whisper

"Okay, that's good. I'm glad that's settled."

"No! It sure as hell is not settled." I growl through my gritted teeth.

"But you believe me! You don't think I'm a psycho!" He rejoices, shrugging his shoulders in the air.

"But why even tell me?" I question. "I don't want a relationship and although I'm flattered, I don't care what you are because we probably won't even be together next month!"

Jake sits there stunned. I slightly regret saying those word, as I immediately feel my chest ache even though I know they are not true.

He slowly raises his hand and brushes his thumb across my cheekbone, tracing the bottom of my eye. Then he traces his hand down my face to my neck, resting it under my head and slowly twirling my hair. He raises himself out of his crouch and brings my face towards him, placing his lips on mine.

My surprise causes hesitation, but Jake moves his lips on mine. Every ounce of my mind wants to say no, yet every inch of my body is begging for more. My first kiss. It doesn't take much more motivation for me to catch on.

I place my hands on his upper arms, not quite sure what to do with them. I squeeze gently and Jake starts kissing me harder. Soon his tongue starts licking my bottom lip and I pull back gasping. As great as that kiss was, I was good to let my first kiss be a short one- not a make out session.

Jake is inhales heavily and stares into my eyes. "That's why." He whispers. "You are my mate and even if you're not quite sure what that means, I am and I will work everyday to show you. It means I want you. It means I need you."

My heart begins to thaw in my chest. Maybe it will be okay. Maybe I can stay with Jake and see where it goes.

I nod my head and he smiles again. "Okay." I simply say.

"Jen, I will tell you anything and everything at some point. Right now though, I just want to get to know you. You are so beautiful. I've only known you for a week and I already know that you're amazing. Even if this mate thing doesn't mean much to you, I"ll tell you it's a promise from me that I'll love you and treat you right every day."

I nod again breathless at his beautiful words. "You're sweet." I tell him simply. He laughs and shakes his head. "I'll even forgive you for making my first kiss so abrupt." I say teasingly.

His face pales and he quickly hugs me, taking me by surprise. "I'm so sorry Jen. I had no idea it was your first. Please forgive me." He begs. I can't help but giggle.

"I will. As long as you promise to make my second ten times better."

He nods while leaning in, trying to fulfill my somewhat joking comment.

And he sure as hell does.

••••••••••

This is probably the shortest chapter yet, but I want to pick up the story soon, and I'm hoping after this chapter I can start building up my plot.

Thank you all for all the reads!!!!

Comment!

Vote!