Chapter Nineteen

My door is quickly shut again as my parents leave us alone without a word. Jake looks at me and shrugs, but I know they didn't walk away from us for our privacy. I know this is much worse than them staying there and yelling at me.

"I need to go talk to them." I tell Jake, sitting up from the bed. Jake sighs and runs his hands through his hair.

"I can leave through the window, if you need me to."

"No, that's okay." I say, "I'll talk to them in the kitchen so you can walk out the front door."

He nods and leans forward to kiss me. I kiss him back, hard but briefly. Then I get up and put my blouse back on over my tank top.

I go out my door and down the stairs, trying to tame my hair in the process. My concussion is catching up to me and I get somewhat lightheaded walking downstairs. I hear my parents whisper yelling in the living room so I loudly walk into the kitchen to lead them away from Jake's path to the door.

Sure enough, right after I open the refrigerator door, both of my parents enter the kitchen. "What the hell were you thinking Jennifer!"

Oh shit. He dropped my full name.

My mom stands behind him quietly, but the look on her face shows her evident disappointment.

"He stopped by to see if I was okay and-"

"And you sure as hell proved to him that you were okay, didn't you?"

I roll my eyes and turn around to grab a Powerade out of the fridge.

"We were kissing, dad. He's my boyfriend and we kiss, like other couples do."

Jake hadn't officially told me we were "dating" yet, but given the predicament of us being mates and soul-partners allows me to jump to the assumption.

"Kissing that led to the shedding of clothes and a giant hickey." My mom adds in a judgmental tone.

I glance down to try to see my neck, but of course can't see anything from my line of sight. Instead I pull the collar of my shirt higher, hoping to hide it if it really is there.

"Come on Jen, you let a guy in this house only a few hours after you were diagnosed with a concussion and you have the nerve to have your wicked way with him. You know we don't believe in casual sex. And you did this while your brother was still in the hospital! How selfish can you be?" His voice raises at the end which thankfully blocks out the faint squeak I hear from our front door. It also makes my head pound just a little harder.

"Dad please," I rub my temples as he fumes. "Your giving me a headache."

This seems to set him off more.

"Well maybe you should go back to making out with your boyfriend. MAYBE THAT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER." My brain thumps from the inside of my head against my skull even harder.

Before I can reply, Jace walks into the kitchen, being the closest in his room to hear our commotion.

"What's going on in here?" He asks, cautiously.

"Jace! I didn't know you were gonna stay the night!" My mom grips him in a hug and I am thankful that she momentarily forgot the matter at hand.

My dad also greets him before getting back to business. "Your sister here, brought a guy into my house and was very intently making out with him in her room, without any of our knowledge."

Jace looks thoughtful for a minute before he shakes his head.

"Yeah, she mentioned that to me. I told her she could have someone over. I was unaware it was a guy though." He looks at me with a blank face. "You could have given me a heads up, Jen." He says in a fake voice of disapproval.

I try to keep my face from giving myeaway as I mumble a fake apology.

My dad is looking between the two of us curiously. "Is this true Jen?" He asks me. I nod, afraid they will pick out the lie in my voice. He clenches his jaw and I know he's so close to calling it, but he doesn't. "Alright then, Jen you can go to bed. Your mother is going to call the school tomorrow and excuse both you and Jeremy from going tomorrow and Friday."

"Okay." I quickly reply. I make my way up the stairs and to my room. I immediately breath once I am safely in my quarters.

"Your brother is a life saver." Jake says from the corner.

I jump in the air, his voice scaring me half to death.

"Why are you still here? I heard the front door close!" I whisper to him, not risking my parents catching us again.

"I did go out the front door but I came back for a proper goodbye." He smirks.

"This is not funny!" I tell him. "I'm probably gonna be grounded because of you and if they walk in on us kissing again then...." he walks up to me and hugs me, so I don't finish.

"I'm gonna miss you Jen." He says lovingly, ignoring everything I just tried telling him.

I sigh and hug him tighter, not knowing when I'll see him again. "You too." I quietly mumble.

I hear someone at the bottom of the stairs and I push him away. "You need to go." I say regretfully.

He leaves through my window, not without blowing me a kiss and I try to look casual.

My mom opens the door and sends me a small smile. I try to look annoyed.

"Your dad wants me to take your phone."

I almost want to laugh at the irony that I don't know where my phone is from Jake surprise appearance. It could be anywhere from the couch downstairs to the stairs to in here.

I look around my room and when I don't see it I suggest she looks at the couch. She says she will and leaves, but not before telling me one last thing.

"I think he's a keeper, if I must say so myself." She shuts my door after that and I smile. My mom isn't too bad.

••••••••••

Hope you all are enjoying so far.

COMMENT

VOTE

PLEASE