Ch. 71 || Back to life

Damien 🥀

My lips touched her soft forehead. She is peacefully sleeping with the ventilator attached to her in the private room of the hospital. Her heart beats at a steady speed on the monitor. I take her hand and snaked my fingers between hers, locking them with mine sitting down on the chair at her bedside. The only sound in the room is the beeping of the monitor, ensuring me my wife is safe.

The moonlight coming through the window cast her face in blue hues. I have turned off the lights to make her feel comfortable as she sleeps.

Fire engulfed in my heart at the unwanted thoughts of what would have happened had I lost her. I for sure know that, if she had died, I would have followed after her. My heart would have stopped beating the second hers would have.

I passionately kissed the back of her hand as tears rolled down my cheeks. Because of her, I have learned to show every emotion, including crying out of pain, desperation and heartache.

Even after returning home after spending three months in that hell, she didn't let herself fall. She fought every minute, every second for the past two months after returning. But Thia's death cost her own half death. And today, she tried to make it completely get her.

Something bad happening to her is my worst nightmare. Pure terror. She is a need of my soul to live. need of my heart to beat. need of my lungs to breathe. She is a need of mine to exist.

A knock on the door hauled me out of my thoughts. Our family doctor- Dr. Lansky- is standing at the entrance door. I nod my approval at him and he walked inside of the room. This room is unlike anything in the hospital. A private VVIP wing, for the rich.

I stand up and walked towards him, turning my face behind to look at my wife before I face back at Dr. Lansky again.

“She has lost a lot of blood, if you hadn't brought her here on time….” Dr. Lansky shakes his head while leaving the sentence as subtext.

Pulse throbbed in my temple. When I was driving her here, because of my immense car speed, two other cars had crashed into each other. But I don't feel any regrets, my slow speed could have cost my wife's life. I don't care who else dies if it means her survival.

Worry wiped from under his wrinkled eyes. “It is a miracle that the baby is safe.”

I narrowed my brows together tightly as a bitter acid churned in my stomach. “What do you mean the baby is safe? What baby?”

Dr. Lansky snapped his face in my direction. “Your and your wife's child. You didn't know she is 8 weeks pregnant?”

For a second, I literally saw the walls rolling together in my peripheral vision. My heart thumped hard and blood pounded in my ears. She is two months pregnant? Fuck.

The news hit me with an immense force of shock.

“How's that possible? We have visited a doctor before for her check-ups and they didn't detect her pregnancy? And plus, neither of us noticed any such signs.” I pose.

Dr. Lansky inhales a breath and starts explaining. “It's called cryptic pregnancy. It is really common to not notice a pregnancy, especially in the case of the first one. There have been cases where women don't even realise it until it's time for the labour. Looks like a similar case happened with Mrs. Erik. Her pregnancy probably wasn't noticeable. If we hadn't gone through her blood tests, we wouldn't have recognised it either.”

“Are you sure it's been two months?” I asked with concern. Two months would mean…

His brows furrow. “Her test results showed heavy hormonal imbalance in the past 5 months. The Atracurium paralysis drug and other medicines that you filled in the ‘recently consumed drug list’ can easily be the reason for that. The intense stress levels you mentioned doesn't help the situation. But we have narrowed it down to 7-8 weeks for now, though, we are still not sure. We still haven’t taken an ultrasound that can help us detect the time with the foetus' size, but that isn’t a trustworthy source since the foetus size highly depends on its health.”