Closer to you

As Jin's eyes followed the pictures on the wall, they got stuck on a particular frame. It was a dragon lily. At first, he thought of it as a painting, but when he became more focused on the details of the flower, his eyes went wide, and he couldn't believe what he just saw. It was the same flower he gave to Jungkook the day before Jungkook’s birthday while wearing the rabbit costume. It was a little dried out and beautifully framed inside the glass.

Did he know it was me? Jin thought.

"Yes,”

Jungkook said as though he heard Jin’s question standing behind him, scaring the hell out of him. He quickly put his hand on his rapidly beating chest and turned back.

Jungkook smiled, holding two cups of coffee in his hand, and handed one to Jin.

“I know it was you. I will recognize you in the thickest crowd and from the largest mountains."

Jin got out-struck by hearing the unexpected statement from Jungkook.

When Jungkook moved to the coach in the living room, Jin's legs unknowingly followed him.
The taste of the coffee brings Jin back to those days when Jungkook came and made coffee and breakfast in his house. A small smile formed on his lips unknowingly, which didn’t go unnoticed by Jungkook. As the silence continued, Jin's mind began to fill with so many questions.

“Ask me what is running through your mind. You don't need to feel any hesitation.” Jungkook said he placed the coffee cup aside and gave his full attention to Jin.

Jin doesn’t know how many times he was shocked today. Jungkook was speaking as though he were reading his mind. He wants to ask so many things, mostly about the marriage. The moment he came to know that Jungkook wasn’t married, he didn’t know what to do with the news. He doesn’t know if he should be happy or worried. But he decided to ask about the few things that were confusing him. So he also put the coffee aside and looked at Jungkook.

“I heard from Hyung that your marriage was fixed last year, but Hyung couldn't attend it because of the pandemic."

“I lost interest.” Jungkook said, making Jin more confused.

“I lost interest in the marriage. I lost interest in the new environment. I lost interest in everything when I left Seoul. My father gave me the responsibility of his company and asked me to look after everything. I started my job as a new journey, but as the days passed, I felt like I was living like a machine. I don’t have time for myself. But Lisa was always supportive. But that doesn’t change anything. We are good friends, but the relationship thing does not go well between us. I tried to make her happy, but my heart was failing to show the feeling she deserved. I called out the wedding when I realized I couldn't live with someone my heart didn’t crave. My father was really disappointed with me, and after that, I lived separately from my family. I didn't contact anyone about this, even Namjoon. That’s why you don't know about this matter. But Lisa doesn’t give up on me. We talked about the matter again, and she said she would wait until my heart accepted her, but I told her not to live on any false hopes. And when I was fed up with the boring life, I left to be with the one my heart wanted."

Jin silently looked at Jungkook when he stopped, as he got the answers to all his questions after this. He doesn’t know that Jungkook's life was like this. All he thought was that Jungkook was having his life after moving away from him.

When Jin's phone buzzed, that’s when he realized the time, and he quickly stood up.

"It's really late. I have work tomorrow. I think I should leave.” Jin said, taking his bag in one hand.

As they moved out, Jungkook walked with Jin to his door. After unlocking the door, Jin got in and turned back to Jungkook, who was still standing outside.

“I think yours was smaller than my apartment.” Jungkook commented on seeing the inside of Jin's house through the opened door.

“Yes, and Jimin always complains when we share the bedroom.”

“But it's better to live together than alone."

“Did you miss Yoongi Hyung?”

"No, and I don’t like sharing my room. But I didn’t mind if it was you. Good night, Jin."

Jungkook closed the door from outside and left. Jin stood there, not motionless, not believing what he just heard.

Did he just flirt with me?

*

The next morning

“So he isn't married?" Jimin asked after Jin shared yesterday’s event.

"Yes,” Jin said.

“She doesn’t love Lisa."

“Yes”

“So he came back to be with whom his heart wanted?"

“Yes”

“Does that mean it's you?"

"Ye-,hell NO..."

Jimin’s ear almost broke upon hearing Jin's sudden scream.

Jin stood from where they sat.

“There is no chance that I am in his heart. No. Never. And there is no way I am going to fall for him.” Jin scoffed, walking towards the balcony.

“Does he really think he can make me fall for him again?"

Jin said and turned to the side, only to stumble two steps back, completely taken by the view he just saw, followed by a large gasp. Jimin ran to where Jin was and looked at what shocked Jin. Jimin's eye went wide, and he stood there speechless.

Jungkook was exercising on his balcony, shirtless, drained in sweat, with a pair of headphones on his ears. His hair is completely wet, the sweat is rolling all over his upper body, and his exposed tattoos, which almost covered his left hand, are a watering sight to see.

“Wow !” Jimin exclaimed heavily.

Jin quickly looked at his best friend, who was also drooling now.

"Jimin, don’t look at your brother like that.” Jin said, making Jimin come out of his wild thoughts.

Jimin get completely offended by hearing the current statement.

“If your brother Namjoon Hyung is also my brother, then my brother Jungkook is also your brother."

“No, I will never agree with that."

“Then let me also enjoy the view.”

“Jimin –“

"Oh, you guys are awake?”

Jungkook caused the best friend's argument to suddenly stop. He took a towel and put it around his neck, giving a hiatus to his exercises, and moved closer to the balcony.

“Yes, we are literally morning birds.” Jimin said, showing a smile.

Jin rolled his eyes when he remembered the morning incident of how he had dragged this pig from bed.

“Then let's have breakfast together.” Jungkook said.

"It's fine, hyung." Jimin said.

"Yes," Jin said.

“I made chicken stew."

And that’s how Jinmin buddy, and Jungkook had their breakfast together that day. In between their breakfasts, Namjoon called them and scolded Jungkook for not contacting him after his marriage issue. And that day was spent like their old days when they were together.

*

Jin came from his work and stood at the bus stop in the usual time for returning to his house. As he was waiting for the bus, a figure approached him. Jin smiled when he noticed who it was.

“Does Jimin have a date today also?” Jungkook asked, which caused Jin to chuckle.

“Yes, he is still searching for his type.” Jin answered.

“Don’t you try any dating?"

"Honestly, I haven’t met anyone of my type either."

“What is your type?” Jungkook's question suddenly made Jin a little shocked and nervous.

He managed to smile and turned to look at Jungkook. He looked into those eyes, which were looking at him, and he couldn't read those eyes, those emotions, and those feelings.

“Someone who does not break my heart.” Jin said it without breaking eye contact.

Jungkook’s eyes softened, and their shine slowly faded.

The silence afterward was broken by the bus horn.

*

As Jin stopped in front of his apartment, he quickly glanced at Jungkook, who had walked with him to the door, and opened the door.

“Good night, Kookie Hyung." He said  entering inside, but Jungkook stopped him when he moved to close the door.

Jin looked at Jungkook silently.

“If I promise you not to break your heart again, will you give me a chance?”

Jin was too stunned to respond back. He can now feel the emotion Jungkook was portraying through his eyes.

“I will wait for you for our first date tomorrow, the same time at the same bus stop. It's your decision whether to take the bus or to take my date. Good night."

And Jungkook walked away again, making Jin’s heart beat crazily, unable to move from where he stood.