Chapter 4 - Phantom Lord Pt. 2

A sheer cold jet of ice swung out of Kai's sword. Gajeel initially looked to brace it but, when it was just a few inches away, leaped away from the attack. His arm turned to metal, like a bar, and he shot it toward Kai, who deflected it with his sword.

Kai and Gajeel touched down, now closer, and Kai swung in with his sword that Gajeel rather easily blocked with his blade. Kai slid forward on the icy ground and slammed his forehead into Gajeel's, then elbowed the larger Dragon Slayer.

"Frozen Sword Formation!" He swung the sword about, forming a magic circle. "Frozen First Layer!"

The magic circle lurched forward, turning into pure ice, and slammed into Gajeel, who flipped back toward the other side of the park.

Kai sucked in a breath, feeling his magic bubble up around him as if it wanted to shoot free like a geyser.

"Ice Dragon Roar!"

The cold spray of magic also hit Gajeel dead on, punishing him back into the ground.

Kai lowered his blade, which had been coated in a thick sheet of ice. Snow and ice settled around them as Gajeel chuckled and re-emerged.

"You know, you could really hurt a guy like that," he said, glowering at Kai. "You've got some moves, ice cube."

"Enough holding back, then."

"Oh, enough holding back? Sounds good to me."

His skin changed at once, turning from its normal color into what appeared to be a sheet of metal. His eyes took on a new metallic look, and he rocketed toward Kai.

Kai sheathed his blade. He didn't want to risk breaking it, and it wouldn't be of any use. Only Dragon Slayer magic from here on, then.

Gajeel tried to elbow Kai but was just too slow. Kai swatted aside the elbow and coated his fist in ice to punch Gajeel in the face, but it didn't seem to stop him. Gajeel leaned forward, ramming his knee into Kai's gut. He bashed his head into Kai's and then picked him up by the scruff of his coat.

"That it?"

Kai gripped Gajeel's hand, then kicked out, right in Gajeel's face, and flipped back, landing on the ground in front of Gajeel.

"Iron Dragon Lance!"

Gajeel's entire arm changed. He pulled it back, then shot it forward, almost skewering Kai. Kai leaned back to dodge it.

"Iron Dragon Club!"

His other hand!

It changed and bashed into Kai's face. Kai spun and landed against the tree, stars exploding across his vision, but he managed to pick himself up as Gajeel bull-rushed him.

"Ice Dragon Talon!"

Magic manifested in his hand as he leaped forward and struck Gajeel, knocking him back. Kai grabbed Gajeel's head and slammed it to the ground, then,

"Ice Dragon Shield!"

The shield formed in his other hand and he slammed it down on Gajeel with more impact than he'd hit anything in a long time.

Gajeel went limp.

Kai stepped back, barely able to catch his breath. His heart raced. His hair all stood on end.

"Nice. Real nice."

Gajeel kicked up and landed on his feet, wiping away a bit of blood. He heaved out a sigh.

"You hit almost as hard as Salamander," Gajeel said. "But we both know that neither of you can really do anything to me."

Kai grimaced and tried to charge his power...but there was none.