Chapter 81 - Finale

ONE YEAR LATER...

The party was held in Magnolia, just not at the Fairy Tail guild hall. It was down by one of the markets, in a small square that Lucy's publisher managed to square away. Erza got herself all dolled up in a fancier red dress that she wore way back just before the Tower of Heaven incident for the event.

Kai managed to squirm his way into a nice suit. Neither had their weapons out, obviously. What would they need them for? Kai also decided to leave his crutches back home; though he hadn't needed them for about a month, he still found himself reaching for them every now and then whenever they left the house.

The two weren't the last to arrive, but several of their other guild mates were already there. Natsu, of course, sat at the food table, while Gray meandered with Juvia following him around. Happy sat with Wendy and Carla, who were entrenched in conversation with Gildarts, who, also, sat near a well-dressed Cana.

Macao and Wakaba hung around a young group of women while Romeo walked around with Laki and Max. Alzack, Biska, and Asuka were out by the punch talking to some other gentlemen and ladies who were probably from the publisher or maybe other friends of Lucy's.

Gajeel was with Levy surveying the selection of silverware, while Lily flew by overhead to go over and talk with Nab and Warren.

Laxus sat alone with Mirajane at a table surrounded by quite a bit of food, but definitely more than enough for the two of them. Elfman and Evergreen, hands linked, were mingling with some strangers. Freed and Bickslow crept around near Laxus and Mirajane.

Kai nodded to Elfman and Evergreen. Elfman waved at them, and the golden ring on his finger caught in the warm candlelight glint. Evergreen's wedding ring matched Erza's but was a bit more...extra. Of course.

Kai and Erza continued on their way through the party, intending to speak to Lucy first to congratulate her before making their rounds. No doubt, though, the rest of the guild wanted to meet up with them for a second.

Kai couldn't remember the last time he was at the guild hall while it was super busy.

Erza waved to tons of people while Kai just smiled at so many more. They were instantly recognizable, not just for what they'd done a year ago against Alvarez and Acnologia but for the jobs they'd taken immediately following to rebuild a destroyed Fiore.

Well, not immediately afterward. Kai winced as he took a slightly awkward step. Erza caught him, even though he barely faltered.

In the past, maybe about half a year ago, Kai would've been quite mad at himself for messing up like that. But now he just accepted it, and was happy Erza was there to catch himself. Still, he walked on his own.

"Hey!"

The cheery voice cut through the entire crowd. Kai and Erza turned toward the blonde woman rushing toward them.

"Good to see you guys," Lucy said. "Been a while, huh?"

Erza smiled. "Good to see you too, Lucy. We haven't missed the ceremony yet, have we?"

"You're just on time, I think," Lucy said. "I'm so nervous."

"All you need to do is just grab the trophy, right?" Kai asked. "Can't be that bad, you'll be fine!"

"Speaking of, look at you!" Lucy exclaimed. "Standing on your own. This is amazing, Kai. Ms. Porlyusica is around here somewhere, I swear I saw her. You should show her your progress!"

Kai nodded. When was the last time he saw Lucy, maybe three months ago? He pursed his lips. Back then, he was probably in the final stages of using the wheelchair.