Chapter 47 - Grand Magic Games Pt. 9

Kai wandered over toward the rest of the group still partying with his father. They reveled in big laughs and Ichigo telling baby stories about Kai. A small smile touched the boy's lips as he watched his father bond with his found family. Everyone got into it, everyone got into his sense of humor.

He crossed his arms and leaned against one of the slides in the water park. A shame that Fairy Tail wasn't around when Ichigo was looking for a guild. He'd have fit in perfectly with this bunch.

Maybe he would join up with them after the Games. Now that he knew Kai was back and that his family was really with Fairy Tail—his grandchild would more than likely be with Fairy Tail—it'd make more sense for Ichigo to jump into this guild. Kai's heart stuttered. He'd have a real family in this guild.

What did Kairi think of that? He frowned a bit, wondering why Kairi never mentioned that Ichigo was alive...and potentially over a hundred years old somehow. That much still bothered him. That was a significant detail that his father notably left out of telling Kai, despite how much they'd talked last night and, Kai thought, that they'd caught up.

Ichigo wandered away to get a drink and spotted Kai, calling the boy over. Kai followed.

"Your friends are amazing," Ichigo said. "Fairy Tail isn't just powerful, they're so friendly and fun!"

"Sure are," Kai said.

"Something wrong?"

The Ice Dragon Slayer sighed. "I don't know. I was talking with our First Master and she mentioned that she recognized you as a famous wizard."

"Well, I don't wanna brag—"

"That was over a hundred years ago."

Ichigo's bravado crashed. He dropped his grin and sagged his shoulders. "Oh. Found out about that?"

"Not all of it. And I'll be honest, I'm a little unsure of what to think of it."

Ichigo sighed and rested a hand on Kai's shoulder. "Son I...look, that's not the easiest thing to discuss for me. There's a lot of baggage there."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"But look, not tonight, right? We're out here having fun!"

"Now I'm out here worrying and you avoiding the topic isn't really helping me not do that, honestly."

Ichigo nodded. He rested his hands on his hips. "Fine. Come over here."

The two wandered off to the side, away from most eyesight. Kai gestured and his father leaned back against the wall as if searching for the right words to find. Kai's heart thundered in his chest.

"Ever hear of the Ankhserham Curse?"

"No."

Ichigo nodded. "I'll have to explain that too, then. So, four hundred years ago, some stuff went down, Kai."

"How many?"

"Four hundred years ago, I lived like some other humans in harmony with dragons." He looked over his shoulder toward the rest of the group. "I was friends with someone who looks remarkably like her, like Lucy. It was her ancestor, Anna Heartfilia. She, like myself and Zeref, stood against the rising tyranny of Acnologia."

"You worked with Zeref?"

"Zeref's rise as the Dark Wizard hasn't existed for all time," Ichigo said. "Back then, he was just a man looking to save the life of his little brother. And I looked to stop Acnologia. Our goals collided, but we decided to join forces. He thought a God Slayer would be instrumental in solving his problems. That I may be strong enough to take on Acnologia.