Chapter 54 - Sun Village Pt. 1

One of Kai's new favorite things was sitting out on the balcony of his home as he watched the sun rise over Magnolia. Erza, ever an early riser, was already out and about with her day. Iggy was too, as she suspected she'd get a job today and probably just head out of town for a few days. Kai kicked back.

The stresses of finding a well-paying job did stick to the back of his mind, but in the last few days, he and Erza managed to wrack up some serious Jewel on A-rank jobs, including some bonus rewards for side-projects they helped out with along the way.

Fairy Tail's reputation couldn't have improved more drastically thanks to those two and the vast net that the guild cast over the rest of the country. Even the Thunder Tribe was in better standing with, at least, members of the Magic Council from before the Tenrou Incident.

Kai eased his head back as the sunlight washed over him and the rest of the town.

The only other thing nagging at him was Tartaros. He and the others naturally informed Makarov right away, who had the Magic Council put Tartaros on watch; though, apparently that would not do them too much good, as the Dark Guild rarely operated on the surface. They all feared that if Tartaros made a move, it would only be because they wanted to be seen and it would be too late to stop their initial machinations.

After a little more time relaxing, he made his way down and out of the house and toward the guild hall, where the hustle and bustle of the hall brought a smile to his lips. Everyone sat around and chatted. The smell of fresh food for lunch wafted into his nose and his stomach growled for more.

Kai leaned against the bar withholding Lisanna from the rest of the guild and asked for a bit of lunch, taking a nice plate of assorted meats and vegetables with a big cup of ice to chow down on. He caught up with her and her older sister for a moment; apparently, the increased wealth of the guild wizards allowed them to get higher tips. Rather nice, Kai thought, for how hard they worked.

Natsu and Gray sat anxiously across from one another; initially, it appeared that they were waiting for something, but on closer inspection, they were really just sitting around going through a staring contest. Juvia, not to be outdone, sat next to Gray and competed in a contest that Gray was unaware of: the "creepily stare at your crush" contest.

Kai started that way when he heard, through the crowd, someone grumble his name. Only one old man grumbled like that in the guild hall and his attention turned toward Master Makarov, who waved him over.

"You know, it's my luck that I'd consider you a right and proper wizard and then have something of great magnitude thrust on your shoulders."

"Well, that's not ominous."

Kai sat next to Makarov.

"It's mysterious, really," Makarov said. "And quite worrisome."

"What is it?"

Makarov sighed. Behind them, Natsu and Gray leaped across the table and threw quite a few nice punches at one another.

"It's a request," Makarov said. "For you. And them."

The two continued to roll around until they at last sprang to their feet. Kai's heart lit up when Erza reappeared and tried to put an end to their fighting, but was swiftly punched for her good deeds. Kai's heart dropped—not for Erza's safety, but for Natsu and Gray.

The two boys were almost instantly put into the ground, shattering the tables they were near.

"I hope it's nothing serious."

"Would you define a personal request by a Wizard Saint and former member of Fairy Tail as serious?"

Kai understood the previous grumbles from Makarov. "Well...damn it, then."