Chapter 20 - Fantasia Pt. 3

Laxus slammed into the ground in front of Kai and Gajeel who immediately dispersed among the rubble. Laxus's lightning flared all around them, cracking against Kai's cheek but he brushed it off as little more than a flinch.

"His magic power is insane," Kai muttered as Laxus launched himself at Gajeel, leaving himself wide open for Kai to kick off the Cathedral's wall and punch Laxus right in the ribs. Laxus, in a fight of rage, grabbed Kai's face and kicked Gajeel away, then slammed Kai into the ground.

Kai flared his aura, freezing Laxus's hand momentarily, and flipped away from Laxus, who launched a spiral of lightning toward Kai.

"Ice Dragon Storm!"

Kai deflected the magic with his own, creating a nice smokescreen. Kai slid back toward the Cathedral doors while Gajeel blasted back from an attack Laxus. Both of the Iron Dragon Slayer's arms were already metallic. Gajeel was getting serious now, too, and Laxus just looked like he was warming up. Kai rubbed some sweat from his brow and brandished his sword.

He desperately wished he and Gajeel had the same level of coordination that he and Natsu had. But maybe Kai could convince the other Dragon Slayer of that if he made his point physically. Kai raised his sword over his head, waiting until the smoke cleared to shoot a beam of ice from the blade that grazed Laxus's shoulder, not causing enough of a deterrent to stop him but enough to, indeed, get the point across the Gajeel, who punched down at Laxus and was rebuffed for his efforts.

However, it gave Kai another opening, as he sliced thrice through the air and shimmers of ice lanced through the cathedral into Laxus, with the final one slamming him into the wall only for Gajeel to ram his head into Laxus's chest. Laxus grabbed Gajeel by the arms and prepared to throw him down but a roaring fire from beneath uppercut Laxus and forced him to flip back.

"I like your thinking, Kai!" Natsu exclaimed. "Keep him busy from back there while we get up close and personal."

"Your stupid strategies won't work on me!" Laxus roared and arced at Kai like a bolt of lightning.

Kai, however, dodged the attack with his instinctual movement, smirking at Laxus as Natsu came in flying from behind and punched Laxus right across the face. Kai peppered Laxus with a few beams of ice to prep him for the major hammer that came down from Gajeel up above.

"Frozen Sword Formation: Sheer Cold Second Layer!"

"Fire Dragon Iron Fist!"

"Iron Dragon Club!"

Kai's spell roped through the air from the magic circle and hit Laxus as he was preparing to flare up his magic, stunning him before Natsu punched him stiff in the chest and Gajeel reappeared from behind and slammed his club into Laxus's back, putting Laxus right into the ground.

The three Dragon Slayers sighed as Laxus laughed from the rubble. Kai prepared his sword stance again. Natsu and Gajeel raised their fists. Laxus's shirt, torn and scuffed up, fell away from him as he picked himself up.

"Not going to lie, this is all kind of impressive if I were trying at all," Laxus said. "But you're going to need to do much better to even keep up with me."

"You're incredibly overconfident," Gajeel said.

"I'm incredibly powerful," Laxus said. "I haven't even started to use my real magic yet."

A shiver ran down Kai's spine as the cathedral began to shake and immense magic power emanated from within Laxus. Harmless sparks of lightning flared around the entire room. Kai trembled in his boots from the sheer tonnage of power.