Chapter 35 - Tenrou Island Pt. 5

Kai thought he'd reached the peaks of relief when the rest of the Tenrou crew arrived to ferry them back to camp, but it really was not until he was back in the camp, resting on a tree stump, that he knew he could put his guard down and relax.

Iggy sat next to him, recounting the little trial and tribulation it was to destroy the Grimoire Heart, and how that'd ultimately won out the day. She also remarked continual surprise that Laxus did not just return, but actively aided Kai in battle; not to mention the fact that Kai aided Laxus with performing the Fairy Heart spell.

Makarov was just surprised that it'd worked, given how it failed last time, but everyone left it unspoken that Laxus secretly yearned to be back in the guild and didn't really come back to see First Master's grave or anything like that. Makarov had left Hades to rot on the shore, insinuating that the island's pure magic may do something to aid his fettered soul. At least, he hoped for as much.

Erza quickly Requipped into her nurse's "armor" and set to work applying bandages and aid to everyone. Mirajane and Lisanna proved apt assistants, though were far less insane than she was about being wrapped in healing bandages. Lyra returned from the Celestial Spirit World as a token of victory to Lucy for defeating a high-ranking foe and laid her soothing songs over everyone once more.

Kai tilted his head back, breathing in the warm, but fresh, Tenrou Island air. A significant weight he hadn't realized he was carrying lifted off his shoulders. He brushed the hair from his face. Hades was dealt with. It was over. The once unbeatable foe had been stopped not by Kai but by Fairy Tail. He smiled and shook his head.

Hades had taught him a lesson after all. Kai was powerful now, yes, but not nearly as strong as he could be if he worked together with someone. He curled his hand into a fist. And he could definitely rely on his friends. Laxus had swooped in at the nick of time. Natsu had his unwavering resilience. Lucy, Wendy, and Gray all provided excellent support (Gray could be his own physical attacker, but when paired with Kai it was an unbeatable duo) and Erza had her Dragon Armor. Eventually, Kai could surpass Gildarts.

And they'd be ready to face Acnologia together. Ready to end that nightmare and at last remove the long shadow cast over Kai.

He adjusted in his seat, which drew Iggy's attention.

"You should probably stay settled down for a bit." She gestured at Erza, who busily chased after Gajeel to apply more bandages. "Once she comes for you, you're done for."

Kai laughed. "Let's just try and stay low, how's that?"

Someone did come over to Kai, startling him. It was Wendy, accompanied by Carla and Happy...though it appeared Happy was really just following Carla around.

"I have a little extra magic if you think you need it," Wendy said. "I can try and heal your wounds faster?"

"I'm okay, Wendy," Kai said. "Lyra's magic is just enough for me for now. How are you feeling?"

"Definitely worn out. I wasn't sure we were going to make it out of there for a second when all of the demons showed up."

"You're welcome for that," Iggy said with a wink.

"It just gives me a lot of hope in case we face someone else like that," Wendy said. "That we'll always win out."

Kai dipped his head and nodded. Master Makarov cleared his throat and it caught everyone's attention, even giving Erza a moment of pause.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am going to call off the remaining part of the S-Class Wizard trial," Makarov said.

"Woo-hoo, everyone's S-Class!" Natsu exclaimed.