Crossbow Hunting

Three months went by and the two boys friendship grew even stronger.

Their days were spent training, then lunch, then a walk on the beach, dinner, and finally meeting in the forest together.

One day after lunch, they were walking along the beach, when Aonung had an idea.

"Teyam" Aonung questioned

"Yes Nung" Neteyam replied turning his head and smiling softly

"We should go for a hunt, I'm bored" Aonung said slumping his shoulders down like a child having a tantrum

"Yeah we should, sounds like fun. Let's go grab our spears. Race ya" Neteyam said, playfully pushing Aonungs shoulder before running back to his mauri, smiling.

Aonung followed behind Neteyam. He was fast, but not quite as fast as the forest boy was.

"Come on Nung, I'm flaking you" Neteyam called from in front.

"I'm not a forest boy like you Teyam, I can't run like that" Aonung yelled from behind, laughing loudly.

The two made it to Neteyams mauri, he grabbed his spear. Then to Aonungs who grabbed his crossbow, and they headed to the water.

Both boys called for their ilu and made their way out into the ocean.

When they resurfaced, Aonung held up his crossbow, showing Neteyam.

Neteyam had never seen it before. He knew what it was, but not how it was used.

"How do you use a crossbow?" Neteyam asked

"Oh yeah, sorry I forgot you havnt been taught yet" Aonung frowned

"It's ok, you can show me now" Neteyam assured

"Ok so it's like your bow, you pull the string back into this part here, point it to your target then pull the trigger" Aonung demonstrating the movements

"Trigger?" Neteyam asked his eyes widened, and he suddenly became ridged.

He knew that what came with a trigger, came with a loud noice.

Something he hated.

"Yeah to shoot it. Here I'll show you" Aonung said aiming for a rock, pulling the trigger.

Neteyam didn't have enough time to prepare himself.

A loud bang echoed his ears, and he was back at the concrete base.

Basically jumping out of his skin. His hands clapped to his ears, covering them. His eyes closed immediately.

"Did you want to try?" Aonung asked noticing, feeling bad for scaring him and trying to distract the boy.

Neteyam thought for a moment. He didn't want Aonung to notice him flinching, which he knew he would, but he also didn't want to seem weak.

"Sure" he nervously said

Aonung handed him the cross bow

Neteyam did exactly what Aonung did, aiming the crossbow at the rock. Shutting his eyes and thinking happy thoughts as he pulled the trigger.

The arrow shot from the crossbow, giving off a loud bang, causing Neteyam to jump again, even worse than before.

He quickly placed the crossbow back into Aonungs hands, and held his spear tight to him.

"I think I'll stick to the spear, plus you wouldn't have anything to hunt with" Neteyam said, still regaining himself, stuttering a bit.

The day went by quickly than they thought, completely losing track of time.

They were supposed to be back before eclipse. But had resurfaced to the light of Polyphemus.

"Fuck Teyam, we were supposed to be back before eclipse. We're dead" Aonung yelled, speeding off into the night, back to the village.

Neteyam jumping from the sudden raise of his voice, before quickly racing off to follow Aonung.

566 words
Please vote and comment, it means the world to me
:)