Chapter 4: Hangovers and Pockets of Glitter

Summary:

Holly recovers from her time out and comes to a few realizations about her future. Meanwhile the Avengers get into a messy fight and bring thier work problems home with them.

Chapter 13: The Pantheon

Long before I was born, back when magic was only taught to village priests and seers, the gods of Asgard visited frequently. Loki explained to me once, when I asked, why this was. Simply put it was because it was fun. Back then you see, we were very easy to impress. The gods would come down and summon storms or lift impossibly heavy weights and they would be revered without doing much of anything at all. Eventually though this grew boring, we mortals started asking for miracles and more importantly we began to emulate them.

Looking back on it now it isn't difficult to see why Odin refused to help us. He feared what we would become. We were a realm that he had not conquered and what's more all of the people that he had saved were dead, no one remembered the Frost Giant invasion and none of the humans really cared about it. We watched them, we learnt their magic and we began to grow in power. Once the Aesir realized what happened, they stopped coming.

At least until Loki began to visit again. I can't claim full responsibility for the extended periods of time Loki spent traveling our world, for he loved more than just me. But it only took about a decade since the first time I met Loki for the rest of the gods to notice that Loki was disappearing for months at a time. I can remember Loki coming to me, snarling and frustrated, because his brother wanted to come to earth.

Thor was so certain it would be great fun. He'd go down and frighten the mortals, eat their food and take in their worship and awe. I don't pretend to know that if Loki hadn't known me that he wouldn't have a problem with Thor's attitude. Loki's was much the same for the first few months of our friendship. It wasn't until Loki truly became my friend that he realized that mortals, for all our short lifespans, were worthy of respect.

It was a lesson Thor had yet to learn.

Despite Loki's best efforts Thor came to visit when I was nearing the age of 28 years old. By that point I had met my dear wife and had been married for two years. Because we had a home of our own, a large one in fact, it made sense for me to open one of my guest rooms to Loki's brother. It was only polite of course.

I can honestly say that there are only two things one needs to know about Thor. He is loud and he has a magic hammer. That about sums up his personality, if you can call what he does have a personality. I will warn you, do not touch his hammer. He is so possessive and protective of the thing! Thor spent two weeks in our home and in that time he broke three plates and 7 goblets before I managed to spell them all from breakage.

The god of thunder spent much of his time trying to wow the mortals. He began with the magical community but when he wouldn't allow anyone to touch his hammer and when he could not explain how it worked, most people grew rather bored with him. After all a weather charm isn't so hard to cast. Even if Thor was very good at creating storms it wasn't something so fantastic that goats should be slaughtered in his name.

The muggles were hardly better. The areas Thor visited were rife with Christianity and didn't take kindly to Thor's claim to be a god at all. Loki had to keep multiple villages from trying to burn his brother at the stake and in the same stroke keep Thor from killing muggles for their insults against him. I pitied Loki the headache his brother caused him.

Thor eventually grew bored and frustrated and declared that he thought Loki was a fool for spending so much time with useless, ungrateful mortals. He left without thanking me for my hospitality and I was glad to be rid of him. Once Thor left via the Bifrost, Loki collapsed on my couch and drank wine for six hours. I didn't blame him.