Chapter 32: Silver Limbs and Soft Pillows

Summary:

Holly recovers from her inter-realm adventure but has a couple of unexpected visitors.

She felt enveloped.

She didn't know why but that feeling felt entirely foreign to her. She couldn't hear, see, or smell anything. She had no sense of time, of up or down. All she knew was this sensation of being cradled. Like a precious jewel in a velvet lined case. She floated along in a warm darkness, each limb laid down on sweet cushions and covered with a delightful warm weight.

As time passed, syrupy and soft, slowly more and more awareness filtered into her mind. First it was the sensation of cotton on her chest. Soft and smooth, so different from the harsh and thick fabrics she was used to. Next came the sensation of a hand on her head, gently tugging at strands of her hair and almost pleasantly scratching at her scalp. Eventually her ears opened up accepting noise and translating it to her mind.

"I know you said you didn't like the idea. I know. But it's not so bad, really. I mean you could be like Thor and I, wouldn't that be nice? Imagine how much danger you could get into without worrying about the consequences if you were physically invulnerable!"

What? Something in her soul shifted in confusion. Who was it that was speaking and what did they mean? She could hardly remember her own name through the warm darkness that held her so softly, let alone trying to decode the words flowing into her mind.

"Not to say I want you in danger. In fact, I'd prefer it if you stayed safe for the rest of time immemorial. I don't know if I can go through that again, no. I know I can't. It would ease my heart if I knew you were protected. A golden apple could give you so much! Everything you'd ever wanted I'm sure. I just need to warm you up to the idea! Yes that's it."

She continued to float there, focusing on the words and ignoring the fact that she couldn't understand them. There wasn't anything else for her to do but lie there in the pleasant universe she existed in. It was just her, the warmth, and that confusing voice.

"I'll be leaving tomorrow for a short time. I've mentioned it before but I'm telling you as many times as I can think to, so you know where I am. I swore to myself I wouldn't leave your side if I could help it but I'm afraid Thor's twisted my arm on this one." The voice continued, she felt a bit sad at knowing the voice would leave, but really, it wouldn't be so bad. She didn't question that she was beginning to understand parts of the voice, she couldn't really question anything. "I will be back as soon as I'm able."

Soon? What did that mean in darkness like this?

"I know! Here's something for you to look forward too! I'll bring you back a gift." The voice said, sounding strangely delighted by the idea. "Even if this thing with Hela fails, and it will, I'll still be able to succeed in bringing you something. If there's nothing decent in Hel, I'll make Thor take a side trip with me so I can get you something from Vanaheim I'm sure you'll adore."

The voice continued talking about things to gift her with, things she had no concept of, not there in her nothingness. She listened as the voice monologued, seemingly requiring no input from her at all. She drifted along, content and filled with nothing. So much nothing that she hardly noticed when the voice stopped speaking and she knew no more.

Awareness washed over her next like the rising sun bathing a meadow in light. With it came the knowledge that her name was Holly and that there were more things in existence than just her and the darkness that surrounded her. In fact, she was now aware that this darkness was a state she didn't want to be in. This state she was in, was not her natural one, and that she had done something wrong to be in it now.

But what?

What was she being punished for?

"We haven't had much time to talk lately. This is...sort of nice." The voice said, although it was a different voice this time. "Loki's just left with Thor, just so you know. He was very explicit that we were supposed to tell you frequently where he was and why he wasn't here. Did you guys make some sort of blood magic pack in Jontunheim or something? Cause if you did, no judgment, I'm trying to keep this a judgment free zone when it comes to magic. Even though...you have to admit it's so weird."