Chapter 58: Confrontations

Summary:

Holly confronts Death and then is forced to confront her own feelings.

Asgard was too small for abandoned beaches or for empty destroyed houses. Even in the wake of the destruction of the attack of the dark elves, the golden realm was so teaming with life. There was frankly no place safe enough to summon Death on its soil. Holly's ability to sense life had enhanced over time which is how she knew that about 99% of Asgard's lands was unfit for Death's presence. Holly managed it anyway. She did this by using her broom to fly to the tops of the mountains that surrounded the golden city and flipping the resurrection stone three times.

Death appeared, she looked nothing like the previous times she had shown herself to Holly. She looked, instead, like a little child with honeyed skin and strangely blank eyes.

"Hello Life." Death greeted, sounding almost amused.

"Cut the crap." Holly said. "Did you know?"

"Did I know what?"

"Death."

"About the Convergence?" Death guessed. "Of course, I knew."

"The what?"

"Surely, you've felt it, the energy in the Yggdrasil aligning itself?" Death pushed making Holly nod. "That's the Convergence. It happens once every 5000 years, just a natural part of the Yggdrasil's life cycle you'll get used to it."

"As lovely as that is that's not what I'm talking about." Holly said motioning to her own body which still bore wounds from her fight with the Dark Elves.

"Surprisingly Holly I do not spend my eternities watching you." Holly growled at Death's words and then made herself pull back.

"Okay fine." She said. "Did you know that I can't kill anything?"

"That? Of course, I did."

"And you didn't think to mention that?"

"I thought it was obvious." Death said shrugging. "You are Life, you represent the flow of energy into the Yggdrasil, the beginning of all things. You have no parts in the end of anything. That is my domain. I cannot bring anything to life, or create, that is your domain."

"You basically told me I had to destroy Thanos but didn't think to mention that I can't actually do the destroying?"

"You cannot destroy him. I told you, he destroyed every single one of his people to gain the power to dominate and control entities like ourselves." Death said, her voice turning more serious.

"Oh." Holly said. "I thought...I thought that ritual made him immune to you specifically not to...me."

"That much is obvious."

"Then what are we supposed to do?" She demanded. "He'll destroy everything if left unchecked, he has to be taken care of."

"His ritual has forever put him out of my domain." Death said. "You must be the one to neutralize him. It will be difficult, perhaps impossible, but he must be overpowered and defeated, locked away to wile away the eternities."

"Right. Neutralize." She said. "Which is going to be so easy to do since he has the power to dominate a fucking cosmic entity."

"Now you can see why I prefer to remain apart, why most of us do." Death said. "It is better for all if we remain in our positions and allow the universe to move through us rather than do any of the moving."

"I can't just stand by Death!"

"Then you risk enslavement." Death said shrugging. "Thanos has identified you as a threat to his goals, he will come for you."