Chapter 9: Thor's Unusually Soft Shirts

Summary:

Finally everyone in Avengers Tower is on the same page. Holly goes into work the day after the Avengers learn that their cleaning lady is a war general expecting a war.

The only reason Holly didn't flee the country was because it would break her boss's heart if he had to find someone else to clean Avenger's Tower. That was it. Well that and Jarvis, she knew he'd be hurt if she just disappeared. So, she went into work on Monday, her wand hidden up her sleeve and a scowl on her face. She explained her foul mood away to her coworkers by stories of a bad night's sleep and an awkward phone call from home. In response one of them gave her their coffee, telling her she'd need it more than them anyway.

It made her nearly tear up.

To her coworkers she was just another person. Merlin she shouldn't get so emotional over such a small act of kindness. She quickly rubbed her eyes and thanked them for the coffee. She didn't even like coffee. She kept the tall thick paper cup with her on the ride over to the Tower, holding it just a tad too tightly between her fingers. The near painful heat from inside was the only thing she could feel the closer they got.

The others wished her luck as they frequently did when she separated from them to go to the upper floors of the tower. When she stepped into the elevator, she braced herself for the worst. The doors slid shut and she winced at the near silent sound.

"Good morning Holly." Jarvis said, his voice almost the same. She cringed at minute difference.

"Morning Jarvis." She said staring down at the plastic white lid of her coffee. "How was your weekend?"

"Sir and the other Avengers had some very interesting visitors yesterday." A flinch that Jarvis would clearly see ran through her frame. "It seems I now have context for our conversation last week."

"Jarvis I'm sorry I would have..."

"I am not upset with you. I understand that telling me would have broken 400 years of secrecy." Jarvis told her. "I am however interested to know how you haven't damaged any of the electronics in the tower."

"Practice." She told him honestly. "When I come in here, I put a lid on my magic. I'm not honestly sure how else to describe it. It weakens me, but it means that the lights won't explode when I get upset."

"You are weaker when you come here?"

"Of course, I am! I wouldn't ever risk hurting you Jarvis."

There was a silence between them for a moment. Holly focused on the heat from her coffee.

"I am...gratified. I don't think anyone has taken such care of my safety before."

"You might not have a body in a normal sense but...but you still deserve to be safe Jarvis." Holly told him sternly. "Locking away most of my magic isn't that hard anyway."

"But it leaves you vulnerable."

"I still know how to throw a punch, don't worry." She said wryly. "Magic isn't all I am. It's just most of what I am."

"That is good to hear." Jarvis said sounding far too amused for her liking.

She sighed and leaned against the metal wall of the elevator. It was nearing her first stop.

"How bad is it going to be?"

"I hope that you will not find it too tortuous." She silently groaned as the door slid open. She saw that they were all waiting for her, looking way too serious. There was only one thing to do.

"Good Morning Avengers!" She greeted cheerily. "How was your weekend? Mine was so calming, I guess I have you all to thank for that!"

"Holly." Thor said, his blue eyes wide. "Is it true?"