Chapter 64 : Agreements and snags

Nikola coughed several times as if trying to regain his composure. Harry asked for a drink and it was Lesthia who brought it to him, not without having tasted it first, as she had to do. Voldemort had to admit to himself that he enjoyed the moment. He had torn apart a number of political partners with murderous barbs and unfailing assurances. He had been honest quite often because he had almost always been in the right and often – oh too often – he had had to refrain from torturing them to simply act as he so desired.

So seeing a man crowned emperor long before him, of a kingdom much more immense than his until then... It had a very special flavor, even more so when it was his omega who was responsible for putting him in his place. However, it was him who got all the attention of his 'colleague' while Harry quietly drank his soft drink.

-Is it true ? Is it that simple?

-It's true, Harry asked for me and it's thanks to that that our kingdom becomes much bigger. Sometimes the will of one is enough to turn the world upside down, we know that. But we forget it.

Nikola admired his companion again thoughtfully. Voldemort already had the idea that he should be wary of this air. Really, he thought it was entirely possible that Nikola wanted to take Harry because he knew there were no omegas who would dare look him in the eye in his country. Having an example of a true accomplished omega right under his nose might make him not want to look anywhere else. However, to his great surprise...

-Would you have anyone to advise me, Lord Voldemort?

The black mage felt an intense moment of hesitation within him. Next to it, Harry started laughing and clearly, it was louder than him. The King could guess why. His companion knew many more people than him in relation to his work and even his status. He only had his Inner Circle on hand... Well yes, he also had their families but he didn't know them well enough. The only other omegas that came to mind were Scorpius Malfoy – and it would be giving too much light to this stupid blond guy to mention him – and Neville Longbottom – already more viable but still quite timid which could make everything stuck – so yes, it would not be good advice. Besides, did he even want to be? Why would he help Nikola have more power? Harry was about to speak but Voldemort gently held him back with a hand on his arm.

-And what do I gain from it? You are aware that the only omegas we would have as reliable would be people from my primary kingdom. Why would I entrust a free omega in my country to a man, even an emperor, who would make him a sort of slave?

Voldemort did not forget his first desires, the freedom of omegas. Sure, it might get him in trouble for going down that path but it was the one that had also guided him to his mate. So he would follow him again. Her husband seemed to understand what he was considering as he settled back into his seat more comfortably, his free hand on his stomach. He always stroked without thinking and Voldemort would always find it adorable.

-These are indeed questions that you have the right to ask.

Nikola looked more serious and thoughtful. His magic even stopped seeming threatening, it was much more expectant. Voldemort took a sip of his sherry, waiting for the Emperor to speak again. They didn't have all the time in the world, but they had just opened the first negotiations between their kingdoms. So there was no need to rush.

-This policy really works, at least it seems like it does.

Voldemort understood that one could doubt it but Harry was rather living proof. It was clear that he did not fully control his husband. And the Goddesses keep him from attempting such a thing. He put down his almost empty glass and glanced at Harry. This one seemed perfectly composed but in the connection, he sensed a vague annoyance.