Chapter 20- Power Outage

MacKenzie's POV

"Where's Barry?" Dr. Wells asks, rolling into the glass room next to the cortex. "He's late." He concludes.

"Late is kind of his signature move." Caitlin says.

"Hey, you guys wanna see my signature move?" Cisco asks, chewing on a pen. Then, Barry zooms in.

"Sorry guys, I got a little held up." He apologizes. "You had to be there." He says when there's a silence.

"I'm gonna need a moment or two alone with Barry." Dr. Wells says. Caitlin runs out for the room, followed by Cisco.

"Oooh, you're in trouble." Cisco sings quietly, passing Barry.

"How on earth do you managed to be late with superspeed?" I ask Barry quietly and he shrugs in response.

"Cisco." I say, seeing him at the computer. "Anything on my scans?"

"Still going through them." He says hesitantly, which I pick up on but decide not to ask about.

So, while Barry talks to Dr. Wells, I dance around the cortex to the music in my head. I do turns and back handsprings and all that fun stuff as I'm finally a carefree girl.

***

Barry had been at a crime scene or something like that later and then came to STAR with a picture of a burnt face.

"Facial recognition software, it's designed for archeologists, and it should help us ID your crispy corpse." Cisco says, him and Caitlin sitting at the computers and me jumping on the desk and looking at Cisco's computer.

"The Question is, how did he get fried in the first place?" Barry asks. "Is there a metahuman out there that can control electricity?"

"It'd take a serious electrostatic discharge to cause that level of damage." Dr. Wells says.

"Guys, according to this software, there's an 82% chance your victim looked like this." Cisco says.

"82?" Barry asks, looking at the picture of the face that wasn't very helpful.

"Hey, it was zero when you walked in here, pal." Cisco says.

"That is true." I back him up and Cisco gives me a fistbump.

"Can you cross-reference that with the DMV database? Maybe get a name?" Barry asks.

"Absolutely." Cisco says. "This software can do just about Anything now that Felicity reprogrammed it. Casey Donahue." Cisco tells Barry after going through some files. "No wife. No kids. Used to work at the Petersburg Electrical Substation."

"That can't be a coincidence." Caitlin says.

"Hey." I say, pointing to the alert that popped up in the screen.

"Someone just used his ID to enter the substation." Cisco says.

"The Petersburg grid is experiencing a power drain right now." Caitlin says, standing up.

"Barry, be..." Dr. Wells stars but Barry's already gone. "Careful." He finishes.

Barry was fighting the electric guy when I heard him say something scary over the coms.

"My speed..." Barry breathes. "It's gone."

***

We were in the treadmill room, watching Barry run on the treadmill.

"I could run faster than that." I say.

"He runs slow even for a normal person." Cisco says. Then, he stops running...or walking, whatever he was doing.

"You can't just lose your powers, okay? Your DNA was transformed by the particle accelerator blast. There's no way to untransform DNA." Caitlin tells Barry.

"Yeah, Tell That to the Uber driver who charged me 65 bucks to take me here. I had to tell her I was coming from a cosplay party." Barry says, winded.

"65 bucks? You were ripped off, man." I tell Barry, sitting next to him on the treadmill.

"So we were wrong." Dr. Wells says. "This metahuman doesn't electrocute people; He siphons electricity thereby removing your power."

"Alright, do we thing this is temporary or..." Barry trails off.

"We have to run tests." Dr. Wells tells him.

"I've gotta warm Joe." Barry says, walking towards the door.

"Barry, we will find a way to restore your speed. I can promise you that." Dr. Wells tells him.

Barry walks through the door and I run after him.

"Barry, it's gonna be okay." I tell him, holding onto his hand and he squeezes mine back.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

Not much  action in that chapter, but still hope you liked it. Who's excited for the Flash tomorrow cause I know I am!! Don't forget to vote and comment. Next chapter up by WEDNESDAY. 

-MC