Chapter one

I wake up with a heavy sigh. The room is blurry so I grab my black-rimmed glasses from my side. The room becomes clear again and I go to take a shower, dressed up, got on my bicycle and cycled to Ridgewood high. Or as I like to call it; Hell.

First period. I have to hurry to my locker to fetch my books for Physics. Keys! Keys! Keys! Oh no, my freaking keys, I forgot them. Already five minutes late for class, I stopped trying to pick the lock and began running up the stairs.

Across the hall, I see Ashley and her squad leaning against their lockers, texting. I stop running and begin to speed-walk. I look up from the ground and caught sight of Ashley's eyes. The hate in them overcame me and I soon found myself running, again, and at the split-second, I was about run past her, she sticks her leg out and I stumble at least three times before hitting the floor face first. I could hear the taunting laughter of Ashley and her friends as I sat on my butt. The hall suddenly became blurry and I realize that my glasses had been crushed. I immediately start to panic. ''Help! Help! I can't see!'' I hear a series of doors open and soon the whole school was laughing at me as I struggled to find the principal's office.

A male voice suddenly sounds from behind me. ''I'll take you to the principal's office,'' I trust him and so went with him. We enter into a cold room.

He leads me to a door and I ask where we are. ''We're in the boy's bathroom, I hope you enjoy the smell of shit!'' he says whilst laughing. I hear the door slam shut. I tried looking for the door but only ended up colliding with walls.

After what feels like hours, I hear the door open and hear the voice of the principal. He guides me to the office and calls my mom.

Minutes later, the principal's door barges open and my mother immediately begins to shout at the principal. People always wonder how we are related because she's feisty and violent and I'm all shy and meek. ''And if this is to happen again, I am suing this school because my daughter deserves the best.'' My mom finishes off and grabs me by my arm. ''Come-on honey, we're going home.''

The ride home was quiet and I could sense that my mom was still fuming. My mom's a single parent, my dad left her when I was five and I guess I became her precious. ''I'm going to the optometrist to get you a new pair, alright. In the meantime, find something to do because it's still morning.'' And you can guess what a nerd like me started doing; I locked myself in my room and got my spare glasses from my bedside table, because honestly, this wasn't the first time something like this has happened.

The most recent I could remember was last year when the principal thought it would be a good idea to have female football at our school, which I know is good in society's eyes, equality and all, but I don't think he understood just how aggressive these girls where when it came to kicking the ball, and that was how I, the goal-keeper ended up with a broken lip and glasses.

It's a good thing I don't have homework today, I'll have time to listen to my podcasts.

Dusk came sooner than later and mom delivered my dinner for me along with a new pair of glasses. I was a bit horrified when I saw it because it looked nothing like my old spectacles; it was big, square shaped and thickly rimmed. This, looks nothing like it. The specs I have now us the type you see those cliché secretaries wear. This is why I never allow my mom to shop for me, we are totally different. She prefers short and tight, I prefer long and loose. I enjoy feeling comfortable in my clothing

Ten podcasts later, my eyes feel droopy and so I put my phone on the charger and fall asleep.

I am in my room, watching myself sleep. This is so strange and feels like a dream. Suddenly, I see my sleeping self start to float in mid-air. I am levitating! I begin to shout, to scream. My windows swings open violently and I can feel the earth start to shake violently too. Something catches my eyes and I see a glow, is it a light? The light moves towards me and enters into my chest with force.