31

You and me will always be tight
Family every single day and night
Even when you start acting like a fool
You know I'm loving every single thing you do
I know that I can always be myself
Around you more than anybody else

                                    - Destiny's Child, The Proud Family Theme Song  

Storm.

It's been four months since Harlem has been gone. Layke's baby bump has grown tremendously, and although I still couldn't stand her ass, she was the only person here for me. Some days we'd sit and kick it and it would feel like old times but other days I felt like I was being played for a fool.

I've been numb.
I've been weak.
I've been drained.
I've been sick.

"Storm, you have to eat something sweetie,"Layke cooed as she rubbed on her pregnant belly. She was now seven months and so calm about the entire situation. I haven't even saw her cry again or mention Brent's name.

I turned to look at her. Her dark skin shined from some type of moisture and her grey eyes were rimmed in red, filled with tiredness.

"You can not ignore it anymore Storm." She spoke quietly. I only mugged her as a knock on my door sounded off.

I looked at her without saying anything but she only motioned for me to get up and get my own door. I huffed. Any other time her ass wanted to play molly the maid.

I wrapped my black, silk robe around me before getting up and sliding on my house shoes.

"Who is it?" I asked since I didn't have a peephole. Expensive ass apartment and no peephole, I thought with an attitude.

The person said nothing, only knocked again. I sighed and swung the door open.

"Storm." I stared into the cold eyes of my sperm donor. His light brown eyes flashed in the sunlight but still held no light. His tall, muscular build took up my door frame. 

A throat being cleared made me flash my eyes to the left of him. I looked at my mother whose build put you in the mind of Jessica Dime. I went to instantly shut my door before my mother could speak, but a foot stuck out. I tried to slam his foot into the door but he pushed the door hard causing me to fly back into the wall. 

"You need to leave!" Layke's voice came out strong as she paused to help pick me up. I blinked away the tears and subconsciously rubbed my stomach once I was on my feet. 

"Who gon make us leave, ma?" My dad spoke as he leaned against the side of my door. I said nothing as he stared at me intently. 

I turned to face my mother. 

"Take you and this Dave East looking ass bastard back wherever the fuck it is yall came from!" I said sternly causing my sperm donor to start clapping and smiling. My mother's face cracked a tad bit. 

"Look who balls might be the size of mines now." He said. She still looked on. I nodded my head and looked at Layke. 

"Why are you at my doorstep?" I asked finally tired of the intent way they were staring at me. 

"A little birdie informed us that you were in trouble." I watched as his eyes went slightly to the right of me. 

"When did you guys decide to be parents? Before or after you left me with a muthafucka who was whooping my ass everyday?" This statement broke my mother. 

"We were young, Storm! How was I supposed to know my mother would abuse you! How was I supposed to know she would do all of that shit to you?!" I reached my hand out to smack her but my dad stopped me. 

"Chill out, ma!" He pointed his finger in my face. I spat in his face. He nodded and stepped back, wiping his face on his white t-shirt. 

"You guys were too young to take care of me but you wasn't too young to keep fucking. You wasn't too young to break up. You were thirteen years old when you had me. He was sixteen. Babies," I spat the word out and shook my head. 

"Babies," My mother nodded her big, delusional ass head. I shook my head. 

"No. Bitch, don't you ever think what you did was just and noble. I really want you to get the fuck off of my porch." I snapped but something wouldn't let me slam the door in their face. 

"Look, I've taken enough of your disrespect. This is the first time you've seen me since you were eleven. Be a tad bit more respectful." I laughed out loud at this statement. 

"You funny as fuck Bre Bre!" I laughed and subconsciously rubbed my stomach again. I snatched my hand away once I realized what I had been doing. My father raised an eyebrow at the gesture. I cleared my throat and he only laughed and raised his hands. 

"Why don't you guys come inside?" I side eyed Layke and she only sighed and rubbed her forehead tiredly. 

I stepped aside as the pair walked in and sat straight on my favorite couch. Layke was quick to redirect them before busying herself in the kitchen. 

I walked and stretched out on my chaise before looking at them expectantly. 

"I know you guys didn't come see me to exchange clapbacks with me all night so what's going on?" I asked tired of playing with them. My mom sighed and my dad rubbed his neck. For once, their two confident demeanors faulted.  

"I know that you already hate us so much. I know that you do...I'm sorry, Storm." My eyes instantly watered. I looked down to avoid the eyes of my mother and father because they had tears in their eyes as well. 

"What do you want?" I swiped at my eyes quickly, but I continued to look down. 

"We messed up, baby. You're right. We could have tried. We could've did better. We just couldn't get right back then. I was on drugs and your dad was on drugs. We were in love with each other and cocaine. But, I got pregnant the first time at eleven. You're dad was fourteen at the time. We had a baby boy." She smiled and I could only let my tears flow at that point. I had a sibling. 

"He was beautiful, Storm. But, we were too young to take care of him. So, we gave him to my mother." My dad smiled at the thought of his mom. "She took him and took care of that boy; that was his mother. I kept my eyes on him, but we also kept our distance cause we knew it was nothing we could do for him. When we had you, we knew we had to give you up too. So, we gave you to her mother. You and your brother grew up in two different households with two different pains. We fell in love with drugs until your brother knocked on our door and he forced his way in. He got us clean and he got us on our feet. You were already long gone, though, see." My dad squeezed his eyes shut with the memory. 

"Your brother has been looking for you for years. He called us up and told us he found you but he couldn't really get to you. Said he had gotten himself into trouble. So, we're here to help you both. We just hope you can accept us as parents or at least as protectors," My mother cried. I looked up at these two broken adults and let my tears continue to fall but I said nothing. 

After a long, pain-filled silence I decided to ask a question.

"What's my brother's name?" I said looking the both of them in their eyes. 

"His name is Brent." I could only scream out in frustration. 

It has been a minute and I apologize... hopefully, this was worth the wait. 

I appreciate whoever is still rocking with me. Thank you all for the votes, comments, and patience. 

Tymoni