Chapter nineteen

Elena and Jerome arrived back at Oswald's mansion. Elena was glowing of happiness and couldn't stop staring at the ring Jerome had given her. Never ever in her life had she even imagined being with a boy, now she was engaged to the most amazing of them all. It was mind blowing! Only a few years ago she walked in the hallways at her school, looking at couples making out and thinking that would never be her. Had she only known then how drastically her life was about to change.

They walked inside to the kitchen where they saw Oswald and Butch sighing. Judging by their looks, things didn't go just as planned because they looked tired and beat up. Oswald was sitting on the chair leaning his head into his hand on the counter and Butch was just frowning as he looked annoyed.

"Oswald?" Elena asked and he quickly looked up at her failing at pulling a smile, "What happened to you two?" she asked looking at them and Butch shook his head.

"That bastard set us up! Locked us in a cell and left us as bait for the cops." Butch said angry as he shook his head.

"Guess you can't trust anybody in this city, I'm afraid." Oswald said and looked down at the floor.

"I don't understand what's gotten into him. You guys used to be so close." Elena said and Oswald faked a smile as he huffed.

"A lot has happened since you were gone, Elena. He is not Ed anymore, he is The Riddler. Pathetic, if you ask me." Oswald complained. Elena walked over to him and placed her one hand onto his and the other on his shoulder to comfort him.

"Forget about him. You don't need him or his money. I've seen you take over this city once, and I know damn well you can do it again." Elena encouraged him which made him smile, but only briefly. His eyes widened as he laid eyes on her finger.

"What is that?" he asked and Elena pulled her hand back and looked back at Jerome smiling. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close which made her chuckle.

"Guess what pal, you're now talking to Mrs. Valeska!" Jerome said and took her arm out showing off the ring. Elena was smiling, but it faded as she noticed Oswald wasn't. His was just staring at the ring with a blank stare.

"That's one hell of a diamond! Congrats, man." Butch congratulated and Jerome bowed.

"The best for the best, ya know." Jerome pointed out. Elena missed his compliment because she got distracted as she kept looking at Oswald who seemed to not taking his eyes of the ring.

"I..I'm sorry it's been a long day. I have some business to take care off in my office, but congratulations to you both." Oswald said giving them a vague smile and disappeared to fast for Elena to get a chance to talk to him. Why was he acting so weird? This wasn't anything like him.

"Why so serious?" Jerome said and laughed.

"Emm, he's had a rough day that's all, don't worry bout it." Butch assured them before he left the room.

"Come on, gorgeous. We're expecting guests." Jerome said and Elena turned to him while raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Guests?" she asked curious. Jerome nodded while slipping his hands around her waist.

"There's so much so celebrate. I just got engaged to the most gorgeous psychopath in the world and I'm about to get revenge on my brother. I've got a plan that I'd like to present and I think you'll like it." he explained and Elena smiled. She looked over at the door leading into Oswald's room and her smile faded. It bothered her that he was acting so weird all of a sudden.

"I'm just gonna talk to Oswald, you go get ready and I'll meet you back at the room." Elena told Jerome before she started walking against Oswald's office. But she quickly stopped as Jerome grabbed her arm and dragged her back while swinging her around and catching her in his arms. She landed perfectly while letting out a gasp before he placed his hands on the side of her cheeks and pulled her in for a passionate kiss. And it wasn't just a normal kiss. He was leaning into her and putting so much emotion into one single kiss. He pulled away and swung her back around while smirking. Elena's jaw dropped and she was literally breathless.