Chapter twenty three

As Elena laid in bed with Jerome when she could feel a shooting pain coming from her hand. It hurt badly so the was unable to go back to sleep. So she threw on a robe and silently sneaked out of room to go out on the porch and get some fresh air. The pain was getting worse so the decided to take off the bandage and check up on the wound she had cut in her skin. Her eyes widened at the sight when she removed the bandage. It was bloody and looked nothing like Jerome's. His had healed perfectly. 

"Now that looks bad." 

She shot her head around to see Butch standing there looking concerned. Elena quickly wrapped the bandage back around her arm as she turned away from him trying to hide her wound.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just takes a while to heal, that's all." Elena said not really sure it she was trying to convince him about that, or herself. Butch came up to her and forced her to face him. She hesitated but turned around metting his eyes as he raised his eyebrow.

"Really? Elena, that's a serious infection. You should see a doctor." Butch said worried. Elena just rolled her eyes and took a step back.

"I take one step into the hospital and it's just a roller coaster ride from there to Arkham. No thank you." she said and Butch sighed.

"You're so stubborn, you know that?" he asked with a smile and it made Elena chuckle. 

"I've got that a couple times. But to be fair, I'm dating Jerome Valeska, the most stubborn person on planet earth." she joked and that made Butch smile as he nodded.

"Hey Butch, I've been meaning to ask you something."

"Fire away! Well, not literally." he joked.

"I've noticed Oswald hasn't been himself lately. I can't really explain it, but he's had these...mood swings. Suddenly, in one moment he wraps his arms around me embracing me and in the next one he seems mad or upset." Elena said frustrated. Butch placed a hand on his hip and tilted his head. Elena raised an eyebrow at his judgmental look.

"What?" she asked. Butch lifted his finger and tapped it at Elena's forehead making her look at him confused.

"Oh wow, there is a brain in there! Use it." he said and leaned away.

"I don't understand?" Elena said confused. Butch just rolled his eyes at her. Elena was feeling a bit embarrassed cause she he acted liked it was something very obvious he was hinting to.

"Obviously. C'mon kid. When has Oswald ever showed someone affection? Beside his crazy ass mom of course."Elena looked away thinking as she placed her fingers on her chin. Oswald wasn't exactly the most loving person. He had killed more people than Elena could count and he did it in very cold hearted ways. But she had also seen his weak spot.

"Ed! He showed Ed affection. He even helped him hide and gave him a place to stay." Elena said and looked at Butch who smirked at her like she just proved his point.

"Whyy?" Butch asked with his hands out waiting for a reply. 

"Because he...he was in love with him." Elena said and got quiet.

"Ding ding ding!" Butch said and clapped his hands together. Elena just looked at him for a second not really knowing what to reply.

"No, no he's not in love with me. That's crazy. Besides there's one major difference between me and Ed, remember?" Elena pointed out making her feel a bit more confident.

"I've worked with Oswald for many years now. I've seen him cut people's throat open just for disagreeing with him. He's always angry and vengeful, so I can't defiantly see when he's the totally opposite, in love, or whatever." Butch told Elena and her jaw was slowly dropping. But then she just shook her head in disbelief.