Help Me

A couple weeks had passed and Kate wanted to start living her life. She quit working at the pharmacy and decided she wanted to go on a trip around the country to find out who she truly was. She was planning to spend a time on the road for about a year and return back to California. Packing her things in the apartment she was thinking about how Candy would react to the news. She wanted Candy to come along with her, but she knew she wouldn't. She had a life of her own here and Kate respected that. She enjoyed being single. No drama, and no worries. Little did she know her peaceful afternoon would be interrupted as soon as she heard the weak knock on the door. She froze until she heard the knock again and stood up jogging to the door. Opening it she gasped seeing a skeleton with long brunette hair and ghostly eyes. It was John. Heroin made him unrecognizable. She could clearly tell he had not stopped his addiction.

"J-John. What are you doing here?" She stuttered looking at him.

"I-I missed you." He croaked back fidgeting with his hands.

"How have you been?"

"Okay. I missed you."

"I know. You said that before. Is there anything I can help you with?" She asked staring at him. He stood there and slowly leaned in making her raise an eyebrow. He kissed her and she felt nothing. She pulled away seeing the reaction on his face. "You need help, John."She said. She quickly grabbed her jacket and an envelope that had been sitting on her dresser. Walking back out she saw him place a baggy on the table filled with white powder, along with a needle. "John! Your not shooting up in my apartment. Come with me." She snapped grabbing his hand, leaving the needles and powder on the table.

Buckling him in the passengers seat she drove fast along the highway as he mumbled random words to himself. His hand rested on her thigh, and she didn't have the heart to pull his hand away. Pulling into the drug rehab center she watched his face drop and he started freaking out exclaiming, "Don't leave me here! I love you!" She got out of the car and opened the passengers door making eye contact with him and softly said, "John. If you love me y-you'll go here and get clean. Please." Tears were forming in her eyes and he nodded hugging her.

Holding his hand she walked into the rehab center up to the front desk. "Hello. I'm Kate Viverette. I want my friend John Frusciante to get clean." After she explained the entire situation to the secretary at the front desk she was given a clipboard along with a pen. While filling the information out John was gripping her left hand hard. She was trying not to burst into tears. She promised herself to move on, but when he showed up she had to help him. She walked up to the front desk and handed the clipboard in as the nurse explained the monthly payment. "The total to get clean is five- thousand dollars." The nurse said while she signed paperwork. Kate nodded pulling an envelope out. After opening it she handed the nurse the check John had written for her while he was on tour. "Here. This should pay for the entire treatment. Make sure he gets to this address when he's clean?" She handed the nurse Anthony's address and she nodded clipping it to the clipboard.

Walking back to John she smiled, "This is the nurse who will be taking care of you. You'll be safe. Okay?" She motioned to the nurse and he nodded slowly standing up. He held her hands and mumbled, "When I get out, do you promise you'll play guitar with me? And go out on dates with me?"

"I promise." She smiled looking up at him, as he started to smile nodding his head. Leaning down he kissed her lips and hugged her tight. "I love you." She hoarsely whispered watching him walk away with the nurse. Walking out of the rehab center she was a reck. Tears streaming down her face. She needed to leave California. For her own sake. Driving to her apartment she opened the door to see Candy standing there with Anthony.

"What the hell is this!" Candy screamed picking up the needle and baggie of cocaine. No no no no no she has this entire situation all wrong, Kate thought to herself. "Are you doing fucking drugs!" Anthony snapped staring at her. The brunette stared as tears were threatening to fall from her eyes and she stuttered, "N-No! John came by and I took him to a rehab-"

"I thought you were moving on? You were probably going to use the drugs for yourself. Disgusting." Candy snapped looking her up and down. The word disgusting rang throughout Kate's ears over and over again like a broken record. Her heart ached. Pushing past Candy she grabbed her luggage she had packed and marched passed the two outside. Tossing the luggage in the trunk she slammed it and got into the drivers seat.

"Your running away just like him?!" Candy yelled watching Kate pull out of the apartment complex and quickly pull away. Anything good I do always goes wrong, she thought to herself lighting a cigarette at the stop sign. She lowered all the windows down feeling the wind enter car making her smile. Reaching the highway she screamed at the top of her lungs, "By California!" As she drove past the sign that read, Thanks for visiting the Golden State!