Afflicted

After that whole ordeal, you and the rest of the squad took shelter in the same warehouse that Jean and Armin were taken to when they were body doubles. Everyone sat on separate crates, facing the lantern in the middle. Sasha was outside on guard. You, however, were sitting on the same crate as Levi, your back against his. You weren't hungry. You felt full. Thankfully, you managed to find some bullets to reload your single gun in the warehouse. You'll have to find another gun to replace it.

"What's wrong? This grimy place kill your appetite?" You heard Levi ask.

"No..." Was Armin's quiet reply. "Jean, there's something I don't understand..."

"What's that?" Jean questioned.

"When I shot that gun to save you... I honestly thought I didn't make it in time. Sorry, but... why was I the one who shot first?"

"That's..."

"Because the other person hesitated," Levi interrupted Jean. You felt his back vibrate from his voice. "It's true." You closed your eyes and rubbed your foot against the stone ground.

"Armin, I'm sorry... I should've done what I had to do," Jean said, his eyes locked to the floor. 

"I know what it is... the person that I killed... I bet they were a nice person. Someone that was much more human than I am. I pulled the trigger so easily... I did... I'm..."

"Armin, you've got blood on your hands now. You can't go back to who you were," Levi spoke up.

"Why would you say that?" Mikasa asked. Your eyes flickered over to her for a split second.

"Embrace the new you. Just think, if your hands were still clean... Jean wouldn't be here right now."
You turned your head to look over his shoulder at Armin. To be honest, when you first saw him, he was a wuss. He could barely stand on his two legs in front of you. So for him to shoot someone with no hesitation slightly surprised you.

"I'll tell you why you pulled the trigger... because your comrade was about to die. Armin... thanks to you getting blood on your hands, nobody on our squad ended up dead. Thank you," Levi said. It was quiet between all of you for a moment, his words sinking into everyone.

"Hey, Miss Y/n?" The blonde called out quietly.

"Mm?" You hummed in response, standing up and finally facing into the circle.

"What was it like... for you, when you killed someone for the first time?"

"That's an uncharacteristic question," you replied flatly, crossing your arms.

"But... if you're so curious, I'll tell you."

~
"You failed?" He asked the girl in front of him. Her head was hung low. "I didn't waste three years of my life training you so you could fail." He walked around her, circling her like a shark.

"She was a lot more dangerous than you anticipated, Boss," she replied quietly, her weight shifting between her feet.

"So your failure is my fault?" He challenged, stopping in front of her. She swallowed, her eyes nervously staring into his coal black ones.

"Well, no... but it would've been appreciated if I had accurate report on her strengths," she bravely replied back.

"Fight her again... and win."

~
"The first time I killed someone wasn't a choice that came consequence free," you began, your expression dark. "If I didn't, I'd die, if I did, I'd have to kill. You don't even know about this, Levi." You looked down at him.