24. Decisions And Promises

M A N I K

Life gives us tough decisions to make, always. There are points when you just stand between crossroads, having no idea what to do ahead and where to go; no idea what to feel and what not to. You just go where life takes you, leaving everything in God's hand, or whoever directs your life.

And this was one such moment of my life. I had no control over it. I was just going where the road takes me, walking till my feet agree to, ignoring the stares of people seeing a vulnerable super star on the road, and before I knew, I was at the hospital at which Nandini was admitted.

All my roads led to her.

Just to her.

She was my home. She was my peace, she was my everything.

And she asked me to leave her?

She wanted me to let her go?

Walking inside aimlessly, I think I collided with someone.

"Manik?" I heard Mukti almost whisper scream as her confused eyes met my lost ones. "Tu yahan kya kar rha hai? Why were you not with Nandini? Aur tune yeh kya halath banake rakhi hai? Will you care to explain?", she bickered.

I just sighed in returning, as I walked ahead, leaving her shouting behind.

What was I doing here? I myself don't know.

Why am I not with Nandini? Because that selfish girl wants to be alone with her kids.

Meine apni yeh haalath kyu banayi hai? Because I feel vulnerable. That's exactly what I am without Nandini.

And she still wanted to leave me. Alone. Alone with my darkness.

Reaching outside her room, I plainly stared at white long doors when I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Andar jaa, she needs you," he cooed and I negatively nodded.

"She doesn't, she just needs her babies. What am I to her?" I laughed dryly and he stared at me in disappointment.

"Why're you always so understanding just towards your own point of view. Years down your marriage Manik, you still don't understand my Nandini. She's doing all this for you!" He whispered.

"I know that. I fucking know that." I whispered back closing my eyes, an unknown anger and irritation creeping inside my nerves.

"It's she who needs to understand. We can have ten more babies as long as she is by my side. I know she thinks this will make me happy, holding my children in my hand and being a father will make me happy, but what she doesn't know is that I would never be what I am without her, my family would never be complete without her. She's doing all this for me, by breaking me down slowly," I felt helpless and vulnerable, suddenly feeling a lump in my throat that made me feel fucking weak.

"I need her Cabir, I just need her. As long as I have her, I need no one else. She's my world, my everything," I tried saying but my voice faded away slowly and his grip on my shoulder increased.

"No one said you're wrong, Manik. You're right. But so is she. She's a wife Manik, and being your wife, being your lover, all she wants is to see you happy. And she's seen the happiness that reflects in your eyes by just the mere thought of being a father, we've all seen that. And you ain't a father yet, but she's already a mother. She's the mother of her kids since the last eight and a half months Manik, and no mother can kill their own children. Just try thinking her way as well," he explained and I nodded, gulping in deep.