CHAPTER 23: Brothers

Location: Obscurity Forest, Night Kingdom -1870 - 6 years

Cornelius: 28, Winston: 28, Naeva: 26, Ingrid: 26, Rosalie: 25

Frederick: 14, Lucius: 8, Princeton: 6

As agreed I would visit Lucius and he would visit the castle when he visited I spent my time in the garden with the boys playing in the fountain or taking a walk around. All three got along very well and never fought, Frederick would try to teach them or read a book to them but neither Lucius or Princeton seemed interested in listening. Lucius would get distracted with flowers and any little bug crawling around and Princeton would look at the guards standing nearby or walk up to them and walk circles around them.

I was in my office one afternoon revising some paperwork when Frederick walked in. "Hey, you're not too busy now are you?" he asked slowly approaching the desk. "Um, No why what's the matter," I asked pushing the paperwork aside. "You know how when I was little you said well talk about my training. Well I'm fourteen now and I was wondering it was a good time now to bring the topic back" he continued looking at the papers I just pushed aside. "Sorry Frederick but the answer is still no, I don't want you or your brothers ever having to fight. Okay so please understand my worry and never bring this conversation back up" I responded as Winston was walking in. "But, mom please It's the only way I can protect my brothers and you" he continued getting closer. "The answer is no" I responded moving the papers closer to the front of me.

"Frederick you're tutor is here, why don't you come back after your lesson," Winston said taking a seat on one of the chairs. "Alright, mom please think about," he said walking out, Winston closed the door, "You know he's a good kid," He said sitting back down. "Yeah, I do. Which is why I can't let him train." I responded. "I don't know if you're yet aware but that hasn't stopped him so far" he continued. "What? You kinda lost me here" I said looking up. "Ingrid has been training him since he was ten" he replied. "...She's been what?! And why haven't you told me till now" I said standing up. "I thought you were pretending not to know. It's difficult to understand you, but anyway the point is he's been doing really well you might as well give him the okay or he's gonna have to continue to lie to you" he replied.

"Ugh... When did he even learn to lie" I said putting my head down on my desk "I understand your fears but Frederick never asks for anything for himself grant him at least this," Winston said walking over to hug me I took a deep breath and sat up "Fine, I'll let him train, but if he gets severely injured you're taking responsibility for it" I said turning to look at him. "Deal" he answered kissing me. "Now go I'm busy" I replied pushing him away and looking back down at the neverending pile of papers. "Alright, alright," he said leaving.

When I finished I got up to go check how was doing Princeton since he had asked me to play with him when I was done with my work. As I made my way through the corridor Frederick walked over "Mom, did you think about it?" he asked. "I did" I responded as I kept walking. "So?" he continued. "I'll let you train," I said stopping and turning over towards him. "What? Seriously, thank you so much. I love you mom" he said hugging me really excited. "I love you too, but you're still grounded" I responded and he let go. "Grounded? For?" he asked. "Training without permission" I replied crossing my arms. "Oh~ that," he said avoiding my eye contact. "Yup, that" I replied as Princeton came running towards me. "You're done now?" he asked hugging me. "Yeah, I am for a bit, what do you have in mind?" I asked bending down. "Um... can we go play in the fountain again, Frederick come on you too," he said grabbing his hand.

"Okay," he said with a smile as Princeton pulled us down to the garden. When we got down he immediately began to play in the fountain's water. "Mom, can you make another figure again?" Princeton asked splashing some water. "What would you like today?" I asked walking over to sit on the fountain's edge. "I want a manticore!" he said trying to climb up. "Okay, and you Frederick?" I asked turning towards him. "I want an owl" he replied walking to help Princeton as I started using magic to control the water and shaping it into the shapes. "I thought I'd find you guys here," Winston said walking out the castle. "Dad!!" Princeton said running over to greet him. "You're not bothering your mom are you?" Winston asked picking him up. "No, she finished her work" Princeton responded playing with Winston's hair.