Chapter 34: Forest and Guardian

Location: Obscurity Forest, Night Kingdom

Frederick had to return to the forest after getting a report about some strange noises in the castle. Priscilla decided to stay to do some shopping later with Sitara before returning to Terrana. Once he arrived at the castle the guards followed him closely as Ingrid told him about sounds from underground and sudden shaking. The guards search the entire forest and found nothing more unusual then what was already normal for the forest. Thinking perhaps he could find answers in the Library or in Winston previous office Frederick went to see if maybe he could find anything about phenomenons in the forest. After two days of searching for related books, he was tired. He didn't think he was getting any closer to the answer. He leaned over the bookcase in Winston's office and felt it move a bit back despite it being built into the wall.

He pushed it and found a passage with lanterns that lit up with the spell engraved in the base. Cautiously he followed the path to see where it led, down a narrow spiral staircase he found himself arriving The Forest Gem of Obscurity that had been returned to his mother by the Lavine's. It sat on a pedestal with a spell scripted for protection. "What do you seek," A voice asked in the room. "Who's there!" Frederick said grabbing his sword. "The same I would ask you, your not Winston so what do you seek?" the voice answered. Frederick looked around to see if he could find the owner of that voice.

"You're a Night seeker, I see yet you don't feel like you belong." The voice said getting louder. "What? Stop hiding" Frederick said. "You're eyes glow like your mother yet you're not her son. Your real fathers eyes glowed like that as well before he got taken, very fortunate of you be taken in by the Guardian don't you think. Someone who shared your eyes. Here you met plenty like you," the voice said getting closer. "How do you know that? Who are you?" Frederick asked feeling someone breath behind him. "One look and I can tell you everything, I'm the forest, your roots of course in a vessel for the Guardians convenience," the voice said and Frederick turned to find a woman about his age.

"The forest?" Frederick asked confused. "Winston made me protect the Guardian he wasn't expecting me to be the forest itself, quite silly of him don't you think. According to him, I was once called Helen, but he cleared me of that name. Hyacinth is what I was named instead," she said. "Helen... the girl he and Cornelius were supposed to heal? What are you doing down here he said you died." Frederick said. "He was confused about what he created, he locked me here to protect the heart of the forest," Hyacinth said looking over at the gem. "But I thought you were the forest?" Frederick asked. "It's quite more complicated than that, The gems the heart, I'm the spirit and the Guardian is the protector, sadly looks like I'm going to do the Guardians work for quite a while until her return," Hyacinth said shrugging.

"No, the next Guardian is Princeton," Frederick said. "The King he will be the Guardian he will never be called," she responded. "What? Why?" Frederick asked. "Silas has said so," she said. "Silas, you mean my mothers father the king before her?" Frederick asked. "Yes, that's the only Silas the forest knows," Hyacinth answered. "Wait so you can hear him? Can you do the same with my mother?" Frederick asked. "No, she hasn't joined him. No rather he's not letting her, but tell me what do you seek if not power," Hyacinth asked once more. "I was looking for whatever made the ground tremble," Frederick said getting confused about what she kept saying. "That was me, just stretching a bit. I finally managed to break from Winston capture spell, thought I use this time wisely before I'm trapped again," Hyacinth answered. "He trapped you? Can you tell me who he was really, I don't want to doubt him but as time goes by that day still seems strange to me, did he really plan to hurt her?" Frederick asked.

"Winston, No. Can you tell me what color has his magic glowed in the past, you must know well from when he tried to teach you," Hyacinth mentioned flickering some of her magic which glowed a dark purple with a bit of turquoise. "Blue, a dark blue... it wasn't him the magic glowed blue for only an instant before it changed his was a constant color" Frederick said trying to think back on that day. "Simple cover spell, his brother must have learned his lesson for when he attempted it the first time, too bad Mr. Wallace took the fall," She said. "Are you saying that it was the same person that killed my father?" Frederick asked. "Yes, but I wouldn't be able to tell you who it is," Hyacinth answered.

"I'm not sure if you answered a lot of question or gave me more," Frederick answered trying to take all the information. "Oh, you're not satisfied? Well, I can talk to you all day and give you every answer you seek but that wouldn't be much fun would it. Besides it'd be quite boring to talk all day." Hyacinth answered. "But the answers can help me protect my brothers," Frederick said grabbing her arm. "Your brothers? I have to do that you won't have to worry about them, but at your age shouldn't you worry about your darling wife instead?" Hyacinth said pinching his cheek. "Priscilla is strong enough to protect herself, if she wasn't my aunt Nellie wouldn't have picked her," Frederick answered. "Ah, physically strong but not mentally. Everyone is bound to break at one moment or another and I can tell you every time she steps into the forest I see more cracks on that poor girl," Hyacinth responded.

"... What?" Frederick asked. "No, nothing. Seeing as you won't stop asking questions I'm going to have to go, Tata~" She said disappearing. "Wait!" Frederick said looking around. He waited a while to see if she would appear again but didn't see her around, he made his way up the stairs back to the office. As he moved the bookcase back he heard laughter behind him, he quickly turned around and found Hyacinth sitting on the desk "Surprised! Oh my, I had not been up here before. Quite a lot of light compared to those lanterns am I right, Ricky" Hyacinth said hopping off the desk and walking towards him. "What's the matter I thought you wanted to talk some more? Why so quiet now Ricky?" Hyacinth asked. "Should you be up here?" Frederick asked startled

"Aw, now don't be like that Ricky~," Hyacinth said before suddenly turning towards the door and staring at it for a while before disappearing again. After she disappeared Ingrid walked in to see Frederick looking at around the room to see if he could find any trace of her. "...Sir?" Ingrid asked standing at the door. "Ingrid, what do you know about Winston's and Cornelius work with Helen?" Frederick asked. "Uh, well Cornelius stopped helping when he started seeing the failure in the medication, I am aware Winston continued it for about two more years maybe before she was declared dead," Ingrid answered. "Did you ever see her?" Frederick continued. "No, only Cornelius and Winston and of course the family involved but apart from that it was kept a private matter in respects to the family's wishes," Ingrid responded.

"I see. Did you need anything?" Frederick asked. "The forest seems to be clear as well as the castle according to my men. It must have been a waking Quadilly or shifting ground" Ingrid reported standing straight.