19| Questions

Emily Rose

I slowly drag myself out of bed, the nightmares spilling themselves into the daytime.

I don't want to leave the comfortable sheets of my new life, but I couldn't take it anymore. The doctors have given me some sleeping pills, but they don't work and they make me unresponsive. Stone cold, as I like to call it.

I trudged my way to the bathroom.

My whole life was turned upside down. And all I have left is a dead body in my old living room, a coworker who doesn't want me to go back to work, and a comatose lover.

I sigh as I turn on the bathroom light and flinch when I see my reflection in the mirror.

God, I look like shit.

My hair roamed around my head, pieces flying everywhere.

Well, that's what you get for staying in bed for three days straight.

After losing most of my things, Parker took me in. Apparently, he had an "apartment" downtown. But what he didn't tell me was that his place wasn't just some old, fixer upper apartment.

No.

It was a full blown fucking condo with silk sheets, steel appliances and outdoor pool attached to the balcony.

Yeah. Apartment, my ass.

Waving my hand under the hand activated sink, I roll my eyes before gathering the lukewarm water under my stiff hands and slashing it on my face.

While I was throwing myself a nice pity party, Parker would always be checking up on me.

Bringing me food, making sure I wasn't sick, making sure I took sleeping pills. Even though I would always spit them out after he left the room, he would still check.

I think he knows that I do that, but he doesn't question it.

Everyone has been here; my parents, my brothers, my friends.

They say that it's going to get better but I don't care about that. I know it will get better. I know that the nightmares will stop and my life will go back to normal. One day if not today

But I don't care about that. No.

I have so many unanswered questions like: why was the man in my house in the first place? Who was that man? What was with the quote above him? Have I've seen him before?

Those questions have all been on my mind ever since I left the hospital.

After scrubbing the demons and memories off my skin, I grabbed a clean towel off the shelf and wrapped it around my body.

I know if I don't answer these questions they're going to be gnawing me all my life and I wouldn't be able to take it.

As I shimmied into my panties, I began to think.

What's the one thing that has been in the middle of everything? What's changed in the last month to cause this.

I pause.

Parker.

None of this happened until he showed back up.

He must have something to do with this.

I'm gonna find this out, no matter what.

******

I trudged out of the guest bedroom and into the kitchen where Parker sat at the island on his computer, blueprints and accounts could be seen from the screen.