XII. The New 'New Girl'

''Bless you, dear.'' Theresa said to her daughter second after Blair sneezed while having breakfast. ''Are you certain you are healthy enough to go back to school?''

''I'm fine, mom.'' Blair said, sniffing and scratching the tip of her nose. ''If I don't show up today, Luke is going to kill me. We haven't seen each other for almost three weeks.''

''Peterson boy? Oh I've met his mother, she's a lovely lady.'' Theresa commented ''Did you know she owns a flower shop?''

Blair nodded. The morning in Hargreeves household was silent, as usual. Theresa was sitting and eating cereal while reading today's newspaper she picked up in town when she woke up. Right across her, Blair was sitting eating her own breakfast and finishing the rest of her homework she left from yesterday.

''So, when I'm meeting Jasper?'' Theresa asked without even glancing at her daughter. She was too caught up in reading today's horoscope.

Blair looked up from her math equation towards her mother and raised her right eyebrow. Feeling her daughter's stare, Theresa lowered the newspapers and adjusted her thin reading glasses.

''What?'' She asked with hand gesture.

''You met him.'' Blair answered making Theresa's blue eyes roll. She took of her reading glasses and leaned on the table on her wrists.

''I know that, dummy. But I want to get to know him better. I gotta analyse the man my baby's dating.''

''Mom, please-''

''So why don't you invite him over, for a dinner. This Friday!'' Theresa said excitedly. Her smile was from ear to ear, while her blue eyes were gleaming, making crinkles by her eyes much more visible. ''I won't cook, I swear.''

''Mo-'' Blair tried to explain but Theresa cut her off again.

''Pinky promise!'' Theresa said, lifting her little finger in the air.

''Can't. I'm meeting his mom on Friday.'' Blair said closing her textbook. She decided to copy someone's homework over the break before her Math class. 

''Oh...'' Theresa's mood went down as her shoulders slouched. Blair felt a pang of guilt, but it was already late and she needed to get ready for school before Jasper picks her up. ''You're only meeting his mother?''

''Well I go to school with his siblings and I've already met his dad that time I visited Luke in hospital. He's a doctor.'' Blair explained. She stood up, placing her Math textbook in her bag and the empty bowl in sink.

''Oh, that's nice.'' Theresa said, pulling a lock of blonde curls behind her ear as she watched Blair run around kitchen trying to find History notes that Jasper lend her yesterday.

''Check in pantry, you always get a snack while studying.'' Theresa said, making Blair mentally slap herself.

''Shit, that's right.''

''Language!'' Theresa yelled after Blair. Letting out a deep breath she was thinking about the boy her daughter fell for. She was happy for Blair of course, but Theresa was once young and in love too. Her happiness didn't last longer than a year and a half and she didn't want her daughter to experience the same.

Hearing the car in front of her house, Theresa turned her head back and looked over her shoulder outside from the kitchen's window. Black, expensive looking car parked in their driveway.

''Blair! Your man is here!'' Theresa shouted, making Jasper smirk from his car.

''Coming!'' Blair shouted back and ran towards her mother and kissing her forehead. Theresa smiled, closing her eyes.