ROSHAN

Year: 2342

Month: September

Date: 24 - dawn

Destination: Northern part of Eastern Earth - Earth

Roshan was trying hard not to think about Isha. He'd seen her. He should have gone down there and dragged her back with him. He should have done something. Anything. And now she was dead. He might as well have killed her.

Ayaan had still not returned from the bloody scene in the middle. The rest of them had decided it was time to retreat. They had descended from the hilltop. He kept thinking, at least nine of us are alive. He'd immediately want to kill himself.

All of them were supposed to be alive. Dammit, he'd thought they would all come out of this alive. It was like he hadn't even thought of the possibility of death.

A hand gripped his own. Hard. He looked down to see a slim blue hand in his own. He looked up to see Naina looking at him.

"I know what you're thinking and you're wrong. She was already out of reach from us. There was nothing you could have done. What matters is that we remember her. And set this world right. It's what we owe her."

Roshan nodded, no words coming out. She only gripped him harder.

They were all on their way to rendezvous after having confirmed with Ayaan. He'd told them all to go on ahead. Maverick was stumbling along in front of them, head bowed down muttering to himself. He would have to ask him later what was wrong.

Naina and Roshan were covering up the rear, checking to make sure there were no surprise attacks. He was guessing Clive, Phoenix and Vani were covering the front.

Naina turned to look at him. "I wanted to tell you something."

"What's up?"

"I know now isn't the time, but this maybe the only time we get so I'm gonna say it."

"Naina. What is it?"

She opened her mouth to speak when something dropped in front of them. It looked like a metal prune. There was smoke coming out of it.

Roshan's eyes widened. The blood left his face and rushed to his toes.

It was like he knew exactly what to do in the moments that followed. He saw the second Naina realised what was in front of them. She was about to make a run for it, tugging Roshan with her. But they wouldn't have escaped it.

So he let go of her hand, bent down to pick Naina up, one hand under her knees and the other under the shoulders.

She yelled. "What are you doing?!"

"I love you." He fiercely whispered. Then he yelled with all his might, "MAVERICK!"

Maverick turned towards them, confused.

Roshan threw Naina towards him with all the strength he could muster.

The second Naina left his arms, he burst into flames.