MAVERICK

Year: 2342

Month: September

Date: 24

Destination: Northern part of Eastern Earth - Earth

Maverick was slumped against the wall in some corner of the building. He didn't want to deal with anyone right now. No one knew about Vani yet. He was hoping if he told no one, she might actually come back and act like it was all part of her plan.

There wasn't even a body. He realised. There wasn't even a body to cremate.

Someone sat down on either side of him. Clive and Phoenix.

"How're you holding up?" Clive asked.

Maverick didn't respond.

"Dude, you haven't spoken in a long time. What is it?"

Just that I watched our friend fall inside the Earth.

"I know!" Phoenix snapped. "We need to get Vani. She's always able to get a word out of him."

Hearing her name, his stomach turned violently. He vomited.

"Jesus! You really are sick." Clive said.

The three of them sat in silence for another minute.

"But seriously. Where is she? I haven't seen her since the start of the fight?" Clive asked.

Phoenix shrugged. "She's probably sleeping in a corner or something."

Clive looked unconvinced. "I don't know. Let's just go get her. She's probably with Gen."

Phoenix nodded and the two stood up. They looked down at Maverick. "Come on." Phoenix said.

"She's not here." Maverick finally spoke.

Clive rolled his eyes. "Duh. That's why we're going to go look for her."

"She's not here in the building."

"What do you mean she's not here?" Phoenix's eyes widened. "Maverick. She's still not out there right?" When Maverick said nothing he pressed again, "Right?"

When he didn't respond still, Clive whispered, "You bastard. She was there with you when you came to the hill right? She was with you then. She was with us when Roshan-" he was breathing hard now.

"No she wasn't. We kept thinking she was with someone or the other. We never saw her Clive! Dammit. How could we have done this?" Phoenix was shouting now.

Clive looked ready to faint. "We have to go out there. She's probably lost."

Phoenix nodded. The two were about to head out when Maverick caught their sleeves. "You don't need to go out there." He said quietly.

Clive snatched his hand back, "The hell we don't. She was supposed to be with you. You lost her. We gotta find her." His hands were moving back and forth.

Maverick stepped in front of them, blocking their way.

"Maverick. Move out of the way." Phoenix said with deathly quiet.

Maverick shook his head. "She's dead." His voice was not even above a whisper.

"What did you say?"

"She's dead!" He shouted.

The whole building quieted down.

Soon, the others were making their way towards the commotion. Naina was there, her features withdrawn. Ayaan still hadn't returned. Sameer and Ankit stood near Rohit, eyes red, cheeks stained with tears.

Clive started laughing. "You're sick. You know that right? Let us go!" He too was yelling now.

"Didn't you hear me? Dead! She's dead!" Maverick was crying now.

His two friends' expressions were those of annoyance. They weren't believing one word he was saying, Maverick realised.

He gripped Phoenix and Clive's shoulders. "Guys. You have to listen to me. I saw her. No one could have done anything. She's gone. Vani's gone." He was sobbing hard now.

Phoenix's eyes turned glassy. "You're lying." He whispered.

"Just, let me-let me go. I might find her. Maybe she's injured." He tried to push past Maverick. He held on tight.

"Phoenix buddy she fell. The ground gave way before we could do anything. She wouldn't listen to me."

Clive and Phoenix were positively wrestling with Maverick now. Tears in their eyes. They looked defeated. But they still tried to get past him.

Finally, Clive gave up and looked at Maverick, "We couldn't even say goodbye. We were supposed to all go to meet her parents. She was so excited. We were so excited." He was rambling now.

Maverick gripped his shoulder hard. The three of them were now shaking with fury.

"That stupid girl." Phoenix huffed.

Naina, Sameer and Ankit came forward to join them. What a sad group they made.

Just then, Ayaan entered. They all looked up to see him.

Maverick's heart stopped. There in Ayaan's arms was the body of his sister Isha.