Chp. 2

"Lupe? Guadalupe Medina?"

My childhood best friend. Love of my motherfucking life best friend.

"Si chica. Como has estado bebe?" She speaks so fast.

"Lupe, my Spanish isn't what it used to be, slow down."

"Pasando el rato con esos niños blancos demasiado tiempo." Oscar the guy who just left my house says.

"I didn't say it was that it was gone, pendejo." Oscar's smile went flat and Lupe jumped out of the car quickly ignoring the cholo.

She grabbed me and we headed into the grocer.

"Chica you got a death wish or something?" I gave her a look only a few knew.

"That's Oscar Diaz."

"Yeah. And?"

"That's the fucking leader of Los Santos."

He looks so different than when we were little ninos running around. He has no hair like how my papi and his used to. Thinking about my dad brought back another flood of emotions that I've tried repeatedly to push back.

"Holy shit. Estas bien?" Fuck I really needed to start speaking Spanish again.

"Si. Si. Just thinking back to when we were kids." I wiped my eyes from their few tears and grabbed a cart.

Lupe followed me around the store giving me all the gossip that had gone around town about me. Someone said that I was pregnant, another person said that I was sent away to be a specimen for the government, there were a lot of weird rumors but none of them were the truth.

Truth was at eighteen I applied to the farthest college away from here on the West Coast and left for early admissions. I grabbed my diploma from the Principal and ran. Never looked back to this place until now.

"Why you hanging around Los Santos anyway?" Lupe was never the girl to be hanging around cholos or cholas for that fact.

"Jose got jumped in right after you left town. Not like you ever returned my phone calls to know that." Jose, her little brother. It wasn't easy being around this type of life but when someone you love is in the life, you too become a little part of it too.

"Dumbass. What did your papi say about it?"

"He damn near shot everyone. Mami was cooking, Jose was getting ready to move out and I was sitting there watching everything unfold. Shit storm to say the least."

"Damn. I'm sorry Lu. Jose is just as dumb as the rest of Freeridge."

I grabbed the rest of the food and headed towards the cashier, Ms. Castillo.

"Mija! Is that you?!"

Ms. Castillo always slid me an extra candy every time I came in because she liked my parents. It made me feel good that she remembered me.

"Si, Señora. How have you been?" I had been rehearsing my Spanish hoping to say something but it didn't come out.

Damn you Spanish!