Chp. 28

Oscar's POV

Amaya told me off before she left my room. She was too easy to piss off and too strong for her own good.

I got dressed and looked at myself in the mirror. These were the same outfits I've been putting on since I was 12. Just one more thing that needed to leave Freeridge.

People started crowding in my house and walking into the back yard. Amaya had found Lupe. Who also finally found out about Frankie. She wouldn't take the truth unless it came from Lupe's mouth.

Surprising but she didn't seem to care.

Sad Eyes got me a beer and the night began.

I got lost with the amount of people in my backyard so I went out front. I guess I wasn't the only one because Amaya was trying to sneak out of the side gate.

"Running away again?" I startled her.

"No, just going home. Gonna look at the stars." She continued down the driveway.

"Alright, bye."

She turned around to wave by to me. 

A little while later the party grew too big. Instead of kicking people out, I left. I walked the same sidewalks I used to, to go see girl at the end of the road.

Amaya was out front skating on her long board, when I walked up.

"You still stalking me?" She asks.

"Maybe."

"Que onda?"

"Nada."

"Ahhhhhh, that's why your over here. Blocks too quiet."

"Yeah and there's too much noise at home."

"Then why throw shitty parties?" I shrugged in response.

"You need to stop pleasing the masses. Can't help those..."

"Who don't wanna be helped. I know. That's my life's motto."

"Oh? Its not dog barking?"

"Shut up. What's your life motto? Miss I can't choose between jobs."

"Well it's 'You belong among the wildflowers'. You know being free, having space to be myself."

"Somewhere you could be a butterfly." I respond.

"Yes, exactly. I still don't get how you know my nickname." I straightened my back out.

"I called you Mariposa because when we were little your Papi kept saying in another life you could be just as magical as a butterfly. Flying free of Freeridge. He never wanted you to stay here."

"I remember that, but I don't remember you calling me Mariposa."

"Santos called you Mariposa so much you told us to kiss your ass. Instead I told that you mark the spot with a Morpho butterfly-your favorite. To which you responded with tattooing one on your left ass cheek." Amaya was giggling at me revealing these details.

"I do remember a lot of people calling me that. But not that conversation. What about your tattoos? What do they mean?"

"Well the first one I got I was 16. It's the outline California."

"There's a necklace in my room like that." I nodded. "You got me that?" I nodded.

"For your quince."

"Thanks."

"No problem. You got anymore tattoos?"

"A few." 

"You gonna tell me what they are?"

"No. I don't ink and tell." I started booing her. "Fine. I have the Star of David for my grandma and a quote that's in French it says 'amour sans fin'. It means, endless love." I just nodded in response.

"Why'd you bail on the party?"

"I need to make a decision. Stay with the company that's helped me, understood my problems or choose to go with their competitors who bait everyone I have worked with."

"But which one makes you happy? Which company will let you grow for your future?"

"I don't know. I show up and do my job, collect the money they give me and pay the bills. The other company is too unknown."

"Then make them show you what they can do for you before you make a decision. Don't just decide to stay with the company that lifted you went you were down because more than likely they'll keep you where you are."

"Look at you with the wisdom."

"I was told I can be sage."

"Sage? What the hell is up with all these fancy ass words?"

"Gotta use them with someone. The boys don't get half of 'em and Cesar is too busy doing God knows what. Cant just let my mind rot."

"Don't you mean decompose or deteriorate?"

"You making fun of me?"

"Just a little." She pinched her fingers so they were almost touching.

Amaya's front door swung open and Lilia tried sneaking out. She made it all the way down the stairs and through the path before spotting us.

"You going somewhere?" Amaya questioned.

"Yeah, I have a thing. So, I'll be going now." She got two more steps.

"Nope. I'm your sister but I'm also an adult. Where you going?"

"Fine! I had a date but seeing as your as uncool as Mami that shit is cancelled." I started laughing. Lilia turned back around trying to get away when Amaya gave me a look.

"Were we ever this bad?" She whispers.

"Worse." I respond.

Just as Lilia hit the neighbors property Amaya stopped her.

"Lily! Just make him come over here. Mami doesn't need to stress out over you missing. Plus she'll be in bed in an hour." Lilia's face was happy but finding something.

"Okay. And you'll cover for me?"

"Hell no. I'm not your babysitter."

"But you used to be." I say.

"Who's side are you on?" Amaya barks at me.

"Yours always yours."

"Oscar you really need to find better company." Says Lilia who is now running back up the stairs away from her sister.

"I'm your sister asshole! I'm gonna kill her, I swear to God."

"Hey! I don't wanna be an accessory to murder." I back up from the woman with the long board.

"Pendajo. You wanna help me make a snack for them?"

"Sure. What else do I gotta do?"

"Rob someone, shoot someone, beat someone. Do you want me to keep naming crimes?"

"No I'm good. Let's go in the mosquitoes are biting me." Amaya dropped the long board against the wall and I followed her inside.

"Whatcha wanna make?" She asks.

"OOOOO, can you make Death Brownies?"

I loved those brownies. 

I loved everything she made.

Fuck.

I'm still so fucking in love with her it's crazy.