Chp. 24

Amaya's POV

It was Wednesday morning, October 23rd, my 25th birthday. 

The 13th anniversary of my father's death. 

He had just turned 29 when he was killed. 

Mami was about give birth to Sara.

It was a strange birthday. Everything had gone great in the morning. Mom had me off to sixth grade, the twins were two and causing a wreck at home. My parents had made me birthday pancakes and gave me a bike before driving me to school.

It was the last time I saw the white Mustang I now drive for years. The last time I saw my Papi, I was running into school. Hours after going to school my Tio came to get me. I thought it was a birthday surprise but when we pulled into the hospital parking lot I knew something was off.

Santos filled the packed waiting room surrounding my mom. Cholos and cholas, Tios and Tias, family and friends poured in. No one telling me what had happened.

A week after the cops finished their investigation we buried him next to my Abuelo. My Abuela flew from Miami to visit. It was the first time I had ever met her. She told me that she left the gang life right after my Abuelo got stabbed to death.

Just like fate they died the same way. Father like son.

Here I sit 13 years later next to his tombstone; skipping school, smoking a cigar, reminiscing by myself.

After the cigar was finished I stomped them out, I said my goodbyes and got back into my car. Not a lot about today was good but at least I was a quarter-century old.

I got coffee at Mugs, went to the high school and had my mom dismiss the twins. Today was no good for any of us but it was harder on my younger sisters who never got to spent time with our dad. So I thought what better way to cheer someone up than with dress shopping.

Before I knew it the twins along with Monse and Ruby where walking out of school.

"Your mom told us to go with you. I hope that's okay?" Monse said.

"Yup. Get in." All four of them got in and next stop was to pick up Sara.

Sara ran outside the middle school and got in the middle of Ruby and I.

"Shopping!" She screeched. 

I drove all the way to Los Angeles with all the kids talking at a loud volume. Lilia and Katia had decided they wanted to match but not have the same dress. Sara and Monse were told they were gonna be damas. Ruby would choreograph the twins first dance. And I just wanted to drive off the highway and drink.

When we got to the shop the sales ladies ushered the twins into the back. Other sales ladies had Sara, Monse and I looking at dresses for us.

And Ruby. Ruby was gawking at one of the sales ladies.

"Isn't he dating Jasmine?"

"No, not really? I don't know. Jas is passionate about Ruby and Ruby is passionate about a sock." Sara looked at me and stuck her tongue out. She thankfully moved on to another rack.