Chp. 13

Oscar's POV

Maria completely blindsided Amaya.

Sucker punching her to the point she got knocked out.

The party slowly died down for a few moments as someone kicked Maria out and I brought Amaya into my room.

Not the way I pictured a girl being in my room but still.

She was bleeding from the temple and a bruise started to form on her cheek. But other than that she didn't look like she was in any harm.

I dabbed a little alcohol on her head when she woke up with the biggest gasp for air. Immediately her hands flew up to protect herself.

"Chill. Chill, I got you." Amaya's blue eyes were watery and red.

"What the fuck happened?"

"You got jumped."

"God, please don't tell me someone jumped me in."

"Nah, Maria blindsided you and you passed out?" I was confused because Maria's punches where definitely not hard enough to knock out someone.

"Its a reflex to pain. I've learned it over the years. Remember when Romaine got jumped in? Everyone shit on him cause all he got was like dirt marks on his face and he passed out from nothing." She laughed and I was more concerned with the fact she remembered something.

"What? Was that not how you remember that? Cause I remember....OH MY GOD I remember that!" Amaya beamed.

"Yeah that's how I remember it too."

"How old were we all? Like fifteen? Sixteen?"

"I was sixteen, you were turning fifteen."

"How do you know?"

"Cause it was right before your quince and your mom freaked out. But he didn't really have bruises so we were all fine."

"What else don't I remember? I'm now more sure than ever that we were at least friends."

"We were. But you can't tell someone that they were friends with you." I gulped down my pride.

"Yeah I guess so. Hey do you mind if I lay down for a bit? My head is pounding."

"Go ahead Imma be out back. Text if you need something." With that I exited my room and prayed she'd remember more things.

Like how much I loved her back then. Or even now.

Amaya's POV

I passed out and woke in the wee hours of the morning.

I crept over to the window to make sure that the sun was rising.

Just as I was about to leave I looked up in Oscar's closet to see our yearbook from my Junior year. His Senior year.

I rifled the pages of the memory filled book to see my shiny acne filled face.

A bitch didn't know about good skincare until college.

I flipped the pages until I reached one Oscar Diaz.

He had hair like Cesar's. Not as polished looking but black shaggy hair. No goatee. No tattoos yet.

Baby face Oscar.

I wanted to laugh at the sight of seeing him so nude like.

I flipped the pages some more until I reached the good parts.

The candid photos of our childhood life inside the brick walls of Freeridge High.

There were photos of people I couldn't recognize.

People who had died.

Those who left our small ghetto and never came back.

And then there was one photo that stopped me.

It was a black and white photo of homecoming.

I was dancing with Oscar.

Trying to rectify that photo I continued my path down what I hope would jog my memories.

Next were the class photos, then student council which I was apart of. Then came semiformal and prom.

I scavenged the pages for more recollection but nothing. There were no more photos of me.

That's what I thought until I lifted to the last page which was Prom King and Queen.

Sat smack dab in the middle of page was Oscar and I holding each other.

More than friends would.

This was more than I could have imagined.

I wasn't just friends with Oscar.

I was his girlfriend.

'How the hell was I in love with that cholo?'

I quickly shut the yearbook and slid it back into the slot it was found.

Another hasty exit was needed from me. I opened the door and walked out into the living room. Cesar was passed out on the couch with Monse on top of him.

Oscar must have slept in Cesar's room.

I didn't care. I needed to leave.

I had class plans to go over and get approved. I have equipment that I needed to pack up and prepare for tonight.

I needed to get the fuck out of this Santo house before I felt like I was being suffocated.

But it was too late. I was gasping for air.

My panic attack had already gotten ahold of me.

Tighten its claws into my arms holding me down. It held on like a tornado lifting you off the ground and keeping you from feeling that solid feeling.

I clenched my eyes tight and hoped it would soon be over.