Chp. 11

Amaya's POV

"Heard you need a DJ." I said to a very pissed off looking Oscar.

"I said I needed speakers. What are you doing here?"

"I'm a DJ on the side. What were you playing on using? Pandora? Spotify? No. Just no." Oscar helped me pull my cases out from my trunk.

"You should have let the boys bring these over. You shouldn't be out of the house." I hauled the table I use out of the trunk and just ignored him.

"What if someone saw you?"

"On what Santo Lane? They probably would think 'Shit I'm not crossing that. I'll die.'" He shook his head at me and I set up the table at the back on the disgruntled yard.

"Just put the cases over there and I'll be gone soon." He nodded at me and left me alone to do what I do best. Set up bumping music.

Cholos filtered in and out carrying things and placing them for tonight and barely acknowledged me. Which was fine by me, I was spreading out the speakers when Cesar and his friends came out the back door.

"Whatcha need chica?" I gave Cesar a look.

"I need someone tall to bolt this to the side of the house." 

The tall kid with the J name I can never get right stepped forward. "I am your man. I didn't know you also spun. Its something I've always wanted to do."

"Great. Maybe I'll give an after school lesson to whoever wants one."

"Jamal! Just hang the speaker for the woman. Sorry AJ. What else do you need us to do?" Ruby yelled and Jamal looked extremely hurt.

"Just make sure no one fucks with my set up. Call me if they do." I started to walk to my car when a husky out of breath scared me. 

"Where you going?"

"Home. I got shit to do. Why?"

"I need another favor." I looked at him, I could see the battle in his eyes if he should ask me. He was debating in his mind whether or not to. It was like a game of pong, rattling around in there.

"There's this um hyna that thinks she can come tonight. Well she thinks that her and I are a thing. Which we sure as hell ain't."

"Can you get to it? My mom expects me home to watch my sister."

"Okay. Well I was wondering that if she came, would you pretend to be my novia?"

What the fuck?

"Um, let me think about it. I'll text you." I made a hasty exit from the backyard and got in my car.

'What the absolute fuck was that?'

We barely know each other and he wants me to cover for his crusty ass. She must be batshit crazy if he's asking me that.

Absolute batshit.

=====

I was still stunned by Oscar's question.