Chp. 6

Amaya's POV

My Uncle Marc was trying to leave the bar and go home but my cousin was so drunk he couldn't ride home on his motorcycle.

So, I volunteered as the older cousin to be responsible for getting him home.

Except when I pulled up to the stop sign at the end of the road, two Santos came running over and grabbed Marco.

Their lowrider was still no match for my Mustang. As soon as they left all I did was follow them.

If Oscar wanted to piss me off, he and his ghouls were doing a pretty good job at that.

I rolled up behind the parked red Impala and watched as they dragged Marco to the side of the house. 

My patience for this town was quickly evaporating. 

This was the most stupid and random thing to do.

When Oscar helped me gather Marco back up and place him back in my car, I felt relieved.

No one was getting hurt today.

Until Oscar told me about the Prophet$ that were trying to find me.

"What should I do?" I ask him.

"Stay low. Be smart." He replies.

"Can't do that. I have to be at the high school Monday morning."

"Why?"

"Cause I'm a teacher there? Didn't my mom tell you any of this when she was paying for my protection?" He shook his head.

"How'd you know she was paying for your protection?"

"Not the first time one of my parents paid to keep me safe. They just forget the neighborhood we live in. I'll talk to you later about what you can do for me. Got to get this shithead home."

Oscar stepped back and then responded. "What I can do for you?" He sounded confused.

I turned the steering wheel towards my house and drove.

If the Prophet$ were really looking for me, then I'd definitely need protection.

And to stay inside at all times until I needed to be at school.

Oscar's POV

Monday morning rolled around and I got my ass out of bed way too early.

I banged on Cesar's door and could hear him mumbling.

"School. Twenty minutes." I said with a sleepy voice.

His door opened a little bit and peeked out.

"School starts next Monday."

"Then why the hell do I have to be awake right now?" I started back towards my bedroom when my phone pinged.

U coming over or what?

Who the HELL is this?

AJ.

Why'd you lie about being at school today?

Cause teachers have to be there today. U coming over or not?

5 minutes.

I cursed myself for getting up so early but her mom did pay for her protection.

My keys hung from their spot on the wall and I snatched them off.

"Fuck school!" I yelled.

If I had to be awake so did Cesar.

Amaya was sitting on her stoop next to a BIG ass backpack waiting for me. I pulled over on the other side of the street and she called for her mom to come out.

"Sup?"

"The sky." Her answer made me laugh. Shitty answer but she still answered.

"What's going on today? Why'd you need me?"

"We are going to the school. Seeing as your minions are asleep in their car" Amaya pointed to the car I had outside their house, "Figured you'd be better protection."

"Okay. I'll get you someone better than them." I pulled my phone out and texted Cesar.

Hope he liked hanging around the high school.

Cause he was gonna love it.

"Hola Oscar!" Señora Sanchez says rushing Amaya's sisters out of the house.

"I'll take them to practice and meet you at the school." She says to Amaya.

"Okay. I'm gonna ride with Oscar." Amaya hugged her siblings and walked over to my car.

"Ready to go cowboy?" She asks.

"We're gonna need coffee." She nods and slides into the passenger seat.

"Mugs' still open?" I nod.

"Number 1 coffee in the 'Ridge." I crank the car in the direction of the coffee shop with a big yawn.

It. is. too. fucking. early.

I pulled into the parking lot and Amaya jumped out.

"What do you want?"

"Black coffee." She nods and runs in the shop.

She looks like a high schooler herself in her overalls.

A couple minutes later she's running outside with four coffees and a box.

"Senorita! Your change!" She looks panicked and ready to hide.

"Start the car." Amaya yells at me.

I throw the door open for her and grab everything so she can get in.

"Drive Oscar. GO!" She says louder.

"Okay. Okay. Who you running from?"

"My ex. Let's go."

D. I wanted to get out and straighten his teeth but she clearly needed to leave right now.

Just as I came in, we speed out.

Its only a short drive to the high school and I can tell Amaya's freaking out. She occasionally looks back over her shoulder but there's no one behind us.

When we reach the school she hops out and gathers her stuff and I get out with our breakfast.

"Where do we have to go?" I ask her.

"I think the main office and then we'll see where my classroom is."

Amaya takes the lead and I follow.

The school is open which is weird because its usually locked and you have to be paged in.

Everything about this place is the same. I guess the school department couldn't give a shit if we were sending our high schoolers straight to jail at this point.

Freeridge had a reputation. And everyone knew that.