Chp. 10

Amaya's POV

Meeting Darius's little cousin was honestly worse than seeing him again.

She was so nice and friendly compared to him. Everything inside of me wanted to hate her but I couldn't. Monse was just a great kid.

Abuelita yelled at me for running away from the Santos and made me go over an apologize.

For a woman who isn't my grandmother, she sure acted like I was her grandchild.

"Mija, hay cosas mucho peores en este mundo que su protección." (There is a lot worse things in this world than their protection)

"Like living in an adobe hut." Ruby added.

Abuelita huffed at his comment and smacked him upside the head.

"Go, you've eaten. Nothing more for me to do to keep you safe. But remember where you are. You can't be running around like that." She gestures towards my outfit.

"Te ves como una puta." (You look like a whore)

Her comment really got me. It wasn't like I was showing off everything. My legs were more exposed than I usually liked but that's about it.

"Okay. I'll see the rest of you all in class on Monday." I pointed to the 4 seniors.

"Bye Amaya." Señora Martinez hugs me tight.

"It was good seeing you again." She adds.

I left their house and walked across the street trying to avoid Mario best I could.

He staggered across the street as I jogged in the opposite direction.

=====

Walking up to Oscar felt normal for me.

Most people as I was told were threatened at the sight of him. But to me he was a scared gang leader who didn't know shit.

The car ride back to my house was quick.

I've realized from my three car rides with him today that he focuses on the roads and not on having a conversation with his passenger.

He pulled into my driveway and finally spoke.

"Hey, I'm sorry if showing you that brought back some weird memories for you."

"Don't worry about it." He nods at my statement and I tried to get out of the car.

"Hey, remember to stay inside. Darius is gonna be looking for you everywhere. If you need to go somewhere call me and I'll send someone to get whatever it is. Oh, we're having a kick back on Friday. Your family will be there and will expect you at some point. I'll have Lupe come get you."

His word dump was a shock to the system.

"Stay inside, call if I need something, kick back on Friday. Got it."

With that he nods and pulls out of the driveway.

'It's gonna be a long week.'