Chp. 21

Amaya's POV

I woke up with Lupe's cold, sandy feet on my exposed back. Checking my phone I was late getting ready for the homecoming game.

I raced home barefoot and still a little drunk.

My sisters and mom were waiting for me but I was still gross. I smelled like old food, booze and ocean water.

"AJ we need to go!"

"Mami, lay out an outfit and I'll meet you there in twenty!" I yelled back at her.

I heard her shuffle into my closet and then walk down the stairs.

The water was cold but I needed to go. I was chaperoning tonight with Coach and Jamal.

Coach and Jamal had some kind of punishment going on from Jamal's freshman year. I couldn't wait to hear the gossip.

My hair was going to be a mess and stress me out. 

The only girl in this family with curly hair. It was unfair. I had to spend hundreds of dollars trying to tame my mane.

That was some bullshit.

Just as I promised I was ready and at the school in twenty minutes.

The dress my mom picked made me feel too exposed. My hair was wet from the quick wash and I didn't dry my body enough because there were wet spots all over my dress.

 My hair was wet from the quick wash and I didn't dry my body enough because there were wet spots all over my dress

It was shorter than what I wanted to be wearing to a dance wear I was chaperoning.

Coach was giving us our orders when Jamal made me look off over his shoulder.

Oscar appeared and then disappeared.

All the rage I had from the night before came back. I might not remember everything Lupe told me but the cholo life was definitely not going to be affecting me any longer.

The game started and flew by but I was focused on getting into the gym and away from any Santos.

When it was time to crown the new homecoming King and Queen it gave me a chance to slip away from the game.

Or so I thought.

Oscar was waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me.

"Can we talk?"

"No."

"No?"