Chapter Five

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
-
Abraham Lincoln

_____________________

"What the hell?"

A scream flies from my throat and I whirl around to find Daniel standing right behind me. Bits of scrambled egg fly off the spatula in my hand as I turn, smacking him right in the chest before plopping down on the hardwood floor.

I forget how to speak as I stand here staring right at his chest. His naked, muscular chest, which looks like it was carved from marble. He's wearing nothing but a pair of grey drawstring sweatpants, which sit dangerously low on his hips. I knew he was built just by looking at the way he fills out his T-shirts, but not this built. That gorgeous chest connects to washboard abs that taper down to . . .

Sweet mother, he's got the V.

"You must work out a lot," I whisper in awe.

"My eyes are up here, Allison." My name on his tongue feels heaven.

My heart is beating so fast inside my chest I'm surprised he can't hear it in the quietness of his kitchen. His body leans even closer to mine until I'm surrounded by his scent. It's nothing but clean and soapy, and I've never been so turned on by the smell of a man.

"What're you doing here, in my kitchen?" he asks, leaning away from me.

"Cooking? The only thing I know to cook without burning the kitchen is eggs and I'm pretty damn hungry that I decided to cook it," I tell him with a smile.

"Go to your house, Allison. This is my place and I wanna stay alone."

I pout. "Oh c'mon, you're my fiancé and you're gonna fall in love with me soon so we should spend more time together."

"Get out," he grits, glaring at me.

I grin. "Only if you feed me. I'm hungry and you owe me, I'm the one who made you look human again."

He rolls his eyes. "Fine, sit there on the couch while I cook for you."

"What're you planning to cook?" I ask, smiling at him.

"Shepherd's pie."

I frown. "I don't know about it. I have never tasted a shepherd's pie." Though I love pie, this one is something that I never tried.

A few minutes later, Daniel and I are in my kitchen, waiting for the shepherd's pie to finish baking so he can evict me and get back to his alone time.