Chapter Twenty Three

The greatest glory
in living lies not in
never falling,
but in rising
every time we fall.
-
Nelson Mandela

_________________

"Your honor, Mr. Gavin here is the father of the child and he has all right to get the custody. Mrs. Gavin has been reported of violent behavi-"

"Mr. Lane, we've already talked about it. Merlin's violent behavior yesterday at a bar in front of her child was a pure case of self defence which is clearly shown in the video submitted by the defence lawyer. Since the question of violence is out of here, the child will go back to Merlin until there's a further order from the court," Judge replies, ignoring Mr. Lane's doubt.

"But the fath-"

Judge sighs. "Mr. Lane, you're wasting the time of the court. This is an emergency hearing not an end for the custody case. Mr. Gavin can visit his child on weekends and a social worker will check on the child's health every week until the next hearing."

"Your honor, what about the financial support. That should be taken into consideration," Mr Lane says, his words strong and valid.

Judge glances at me when I rise to my feet. "Your Honor, Mrs. Gavin here is an independent woman who's more than capable to take care of her child. I agree, Mr. Gavin definitely has more financial background than Mrs. Gavin but again that's not enough to take away the custody rights of the mother. He's a four year old child who need mother's care and love which should not be denied on the basis of financial support."

Judge thinks something before typing it down on his laptop. "From the records submitted by the defence, Mrs. Gavin has a steady job and necessary requirements so the concerns of the father is not valid here. If he still has doubts or queries regarding the child's health then he can provide child support after coming with an agreement with Mrs. Gavin which should also be consulted with the court."

A smile tugs at the corner of my lips. Merlin smiles at me, letting me know how relieved she is.

"Just a minute, Your Honor," Mr. Lane starts again causing Judge to sigh in annoyance but still he gives a nod. "Thank you, Your Honor."

Mr. Lane glances at me before turning towards the Judge. "Mrs. Gavin has been seen in a club many times which arises the question of her habits and moreover her job at an animal shelter is temporary. The child's safety is still a question here-"

"Your one minute ends here with Mr. Lane," Judge interrupts. I chuckle inwardly when I see the look on Mr. Lane's face. "I repeat again,this isn't a final judgement. This is only a hearing for the removal of child from the mother yesterday under certain circumstances which has been cleared. Now, the mother going to a club or having a temporary job isn't a strong reason to deny the custody to the mother. If you continue your invalid arguments then I might take away the visitation hours of Mr. Gavin."