Chapter Forty

That some achieve great success,
is proof to all that
others can achieve it as well
-
Abraham Lincoln

____________________

I turned away from her but Annabelle hit me hard - a shoulder in the sternum, with momentum behind it

I turned away from her but Annabelle hit me hard - a shoulder in the sternum, with momentum behind it. It took me down, stole my breath, but I rolled, threw out a hand, managed to snag her by the ankle.

Got a vicious kick in the head that had my head vibrating. I heard shouting through the glare, the smoke, through my earbud. Pounding feet. There was someone else with her whom I couldn't see but he was going towards the kitchen. Archer!

I tossed up my legs, scissored them, connected hard enough to send Annabelle stumbling.

Adrenaline dried my mouth, squeaked with fear.

My heart kicking against my ribs. Archer may be calling for 911 but might be too late.

Oh, bad. The knot in my belly tightened.

My baby. I started to cover my stomach, then forced my arms to hang loose. Never draw attention to a vulnerability. I'm not pregnant. No, not me. Fear dried her mouth.

"I lost the case because of you." She tried to push me but I didn't move. Jesus! She still has the knife near.

"Stop." Shoving down fury, I made my voice waver. It wasn't difficult with the waves of fear chilling her blood. "P-please, don't hurt me."

"Isn't it us now?" Annabelle glared down at me. The sickening sweet smell of chewing tobacco couldn't overwhelm the fear. "You're fucking pregnant."

My jaw clenched.

I shifted, using my weight to increase pressure. Later I'd definitely think that slight change in angle had caused the point of the combat knife Annabelle had in her hand to slice along my hand rather than my throat.

But the pain, the smell of my own blood brought out the anger.

"Fuck this." On that sentiment, I gave Annabelle a sharp head butt. I heard the knife clatter, felt her grip convulse, then give. Still working half-blind, I shifted again, shoved Annabelle over, yanked her arms behind her back. Few punches and the model is down.

Archer!

A little light-headed and queasy from it, I heard movement from the kitchen. A small smile touches my lips when Max ran towards me. Tears filled my vision as I wrapped myself around.

Pain exploded in her cheek but I didn't care. Archer. He might be hurt.

"What the fuck was that?" My whole body relaxes when I hear Alex's voice. He's here!

"Al-Al," I mutter when I feel a sudden pain in my belly. My head started rolling as I lost my consciousness.