Chapter Twenty Seven

It always seems
impossible
until it's done.
-
Nelson Mandela

_________________

Daniel was pissed. Pissed because Annabelle was not planning to let go him, pissed because I wore this dress to the party, minus the fact he likes it, pissed because I choose to dance with John rather him and pissed because the lady commented about my future baby having John's green eyes.

The last one was the last string.

C'mon, I don't plan to have babies. That's out of list. And if at all I was planning to have babies, my children will have my gray eyes or... his gorgeous blue eyes.

A smile tugs at the corner of my lips but I hold it back when I see the look on Daniel's face.

Daniel's eyes flash with fury and he stands up from the bed. One step toward me, his voice low and guttural. "Done with your dance? Or do you want some more time to decide on how to dumb me so that you can plan your future with him."

I grimace, trying to grasp his words.

He's angry, so calm down.

But Daniel's not finished. He gives it to me straight. Another step toward me and he leans down so our faces are just inches apart. "Thomas said you looked gorgeous, which I have to agree with, but I took extreme exception to him saying that you look better in John's arms, with him in his bed than mine."

That annoying old man. Damn him!

I gasp and take a startled step backward.  Daniel moves with me, not about to let me get too far away. His eyes are glazed with anger over the memory of what Thomas said. "You're angry that I touched Anna? I get it. I know I shouldn't have but I didn't want her from the moment I met you. I hate that all those bastards were able to talk to you all evening but I, despite being your husband couldn't even stand beside you. Why? Because I fucked up? I did! I admit that I hurt you when I let Annabelle take me to the guest room but you know nothing happened. It was our first party but you choose to be with my enemy who's waiting to pull me down rather than me."

Relax!

"Dani-"

"It was always you," he shouts. I flinch at the intensity of his voice. "From the very moment I met you in the bar, it has been always you. I tried every second to keep you away from my problems. I tried to close myself but you always crawled in, making me feel more safe. I was stunned when you let Anna touch me, I thought you didn't care. At that moment, I felt there's no use of fighting anymore because you didn't care. If not for you then who else? And that's when you touched your ring, for a second I saw how much you were waiting for me to push her away. I was able to stop Anna from getting what she want because I knew there's a woman with my ring on her finger, who would be broken if I forget my vows."