Chapter Twenty One

Let the past make
you better,
not bitter
-
Buddha

______________

"Hello, Allison Hart here," I answer my phone without checking the caller ID while I instruct Hope about packing my clothes

"Hello, Allison Hart here," I answer my phone without checking the caller ID while I instruct Hope about packing my clothes. We're going to Thomas's house today so I have to pack my clothes and all the necessary things that are required. I'm quite eager since Daniel promised me that we'll go for our honeymoon after this week. Finally, my celibacy is going to come to an end.

What will you call the thing that happened yesterday? You cried out his name loud for the whole street to hear.

Shut up!

"Allison," Merlin answers, her voice brushes my thoughts off. My body turns rigid immediately. Her voice filled with panic and she's exhaling hard. Is she okay? That's the first thought that crossed my mind.

"What's wrong?"

"Some social worker is here. With... officers. They have an... an order. They're taking my baby."

Nausea slams into my stomach and I feel like I'm falling. Grappling, grasping for a perch to stop the descent.

"Tell them I'm on my way. They can't take them until your lawyer is there. Just calm down."

"Hurry," she begs in a whisper. And the line goes dead. Hope follows me without a word. Packing and other things can wait. Duty comes first, especially when it's about a child. I text Marcus on my way to Merlin's house, asking him to get there as soon as possible. I might need his help.

When we reach the destination after a journey of fifteen minutes, the first thing I notice is the vehicles that are parked outside Merlin's house. Gavin, the father and his lawyer who is non other than my ex-boss stood there talking to young some officer.

My gaze move towards Clare, the social worker whom I know personally. Must be serious if she's involed. She's talking to Leila, her assistant while Merlin is standing beside them.

I take a moment to analyse Merlin, she looks tired and weak, tears rolling down her eyes. Her little boy, hugging her legs —crying.

Jesus!

I take a deep breathe, forcing my expression to turn professional as I march towards Clare. Clare smiled when she notices me but that vanishes when she catches the seriousness on my face.

"I'm Merlin's attorney," I tell her. Surprise flashes across her face, she gives me a small nod. "I would like to know about the reason why this is happening."