Chapter Thirty One

We fear the future because we are wasting the today
-
Mother Theresa

_________________

"I'm not sure you're going to be happy with information that I can provide you," Alex says to me as we take the elevator up to the conference room

Leaning casually back against the wall, I eye myself critically in the reflection of the bronzed doors as I grin at Alex. "I'm going to beat you up if you don't give me what I need."

"I know," Alex says, but I can hear affection and pride in his voice.

"I'm afraid the reason Daniel being afraid of Annabelle isn't just because of the company rule," he asks casually as the elevator rolls to a stop and the doors slide open.

"I know," I say as I follow him out, the sound of my heels clicking in unison on the industrial tile floor with my Alex's luxurious shoe.

"He's adopted."

I stop.

"Pardon?"

Alex stops walking, turns around to face me and his eyes meet mine. "He's adopted and I don't think the board members are aware of that fact."

I'm so stunned I straighten up and take a step back. The feeling of dread that's lodged deep in the pit of my stomach making me want to puke.

Memories rushes back to me.

My mother was raped.

Teenage mother.

Jesus! Why didn't I think about it earlier? Daliya definitely wasn't a teenage mom considering that she's in her fifties and Daniel is twenty-eight.

He wasn't tensed about his relationship Annabelle. He was scared that the people who respected him till now will see him in a different way once they find out the truth.

"Annabelle definitely knows that he's adopted and he doesn't want her to blurt it out to everyone. So I guess that's why he offered her money to settle things. I'm not exactly sure. All these are speculations."

I don't respond to him as I try to connect the dots. I continue my walk and I hear Alex following me. Annabelle knew that Daniel was adopted and something might have gone wrong between them so she started threatening him with that news.

The board members may take action against Daniel if they find out that he was involved with Annabelle and the news of Daniel being adopted on top of that definitely won't be acceptable. Considering it's a family business and blood-line is important for them, this is a serious issue.

I enter the empty conference hall and take my seat at the head of the table while Alex sits on the seat to my left side.

"Does it change anything, Allison?" Alex asks, his gaze fixed on my face.