Chapter Eighteen

I walk slowly
but
never backwards
-
Abraham Lincoln

__________________

The rest of the day passed with all my senses dulled like I was underwater

The rest of the day passed with all my senses dulled like I was underwater. Shock, I suppose. And denial. I just couldn't believe things were as bad as they apparently were. I hate that they're getting separated especially when they make me the reason for their separation. I could still remember the way my mother stared at my father with love. They always looked perfect.

"You all right?" asks Daniel with concern when he caught me staring into space, sitting on my bed, leaning against the headboard, sheets covering my bare legs.

"I'm..." What? What was I? There wasn't a word. Finally I settled on, "Fine. Just tired is all. Couldn't sleep last night."

Chuckling, Daniel patted me on the shoulder. "Liar," he mutters, getting inside the covers, beside me. "Looks like you been eaten by a fox and shit over a cliff."

When I turned to glare at him, he said, "Somebody had to say it!"

I threw my hands in the air. "Really? Somebody had to say I look like I was eaten by a fox and shit over a cliff? Something someone really needed to tell me?"

"You actually look like somebody died. Was it that bad? The conversation with your parents?"

My throat closed.

"Tell me," he whispers, wrapping his arm around me. A smile tugs at the corner of my lips when I hear his authorative voice.

I stare up at him with a wide grin. "Okay, this is a small story. Listen carefully."

"Bedtime story?"

I nod my head, eagerly. "Once upon there was a princess, her name was Allison. She was so beautiful, she was the cutest baby in this world and she wa-"

"Now you're exaggerating," Daniel comments. I hit him on the arm.

"Do not disturb," I scold him. "I was the eldest daughter of Axel and Leah, they loved me a lot and I was so happy but happiness always has an end. Mark, my dad's best friend brought a storm into my life. I still remember that day. Dad was playing with me but stopped when he saw Uncle Mark. After sometime they started fighting, I was so scared. When Uncle went away, I ran towards my father but instead of picking me up, he pushed me away. There started my actual life." Daniel continued rubbing my arm, pulling me closer to me.