Chapter Sixteen

Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt the sun doth move;
Doubt the truth to be a liar:
but never doubt I love.
-
Hamlet
William Shakespeare

___________________

I stare at Greta without blinking my eyes

I stare at Greta without blinking my eyes. She gives me an awkward smile before taking a step back. "I.. I didn't see anything. I w-was just looking for you. I didn't see you.."

It takes me few seconds to understand her words. "I.. I'm not-" Greta cuts me off.

"Don't worry Allison, I won't tell anyone. If you love Daniel then I'll support you no matter what," she says before running away like a scared cat.

Did she just say that I'm a cheating wife?

Apparently, yes.

What the heck is going on around me?

I turn towards Daniel who's already looking at me. "Did you hear that? She thinks.. I'm cheating. God, this is no-"

"Hilarious," Daniel said, cutting me off before bursting into laughter. All my anger vanishes when I hear his rich voice. Daniel is laughing. And it's a great sight to watch, his blue eyes sparkling, his cheeks colored and his hands on his stomach.

He stops laughing when he sees me staring at him. "What?" he asks, pulling me towards him.

"Nothing."

He smirks. "Then let's continue our affair."

I glare at him before hitting him on the chest. Damn him!

After another few minutes, we both decided to go back to the hall hoping that my parents have already arrived.

"You got to be kidding me woman. How dare you go leaving me here in the lion's den?" Ryan snaps at me when he sees me walking towards him with Daniel.

"Is there lion here? Did grandma buy a lion? She didn't tell me. Is it pretty?" I ask him with a bright smile.

Lion? Pretty?

What? Can't a lion be pretty?

No way!

Careful! The lion may get offended.

Really?

"When I said lion, I meant your grandmother. She was practically growling. She wanted to know where you went. When will your parents arrive?"

Daniel chuckles and I immediately fall in love with that voice. He really looks relaxed and a smile tugs at the corner of my lips.

"Did she ask all this questions to you?"  I ask, leaning against Daniel. He wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.