Chapter Thirty Nine

Look for three things in a person.
Intelligence, Energy and Integrity.
If they don't have the last one,
don't even bother with the first two.
-
Warren Buffett

______________

______________

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

"I'm sorry. Could you say that again?" I asked Dr. Kelly, a beautiful woman with kind eyes and a soft voice.

"The test is positive. You're pregnant," she said firmly.

"Are you sure? I'm on pill. I think you're wrong."

She looked at the results again. "Not according to this."

"But my pills." I shook my head, feeling dizzy and disoriented and sick to my stomach, which was why I was here in the first place.

"Did you throw up sometime? Maybe the pill might have come out too."

I remember my allergic reaction and I might have threw up my pill too.

She smiled gingerly and opened a paper calendar on the counter. "When was your last period?"

"Uh..." I tried to think. "Second week of December?"

She looked up from the calendar. "So you missed one in January?"

My brain was reeling. Had I? I must have. "My life has been sort of upside down. And my periods have been irregular when I'm stressed."

She nodded. "That can happen. Your weight is in the healthy range now, but let's see if we can pinpoint when you might have conceived."

Conceived.

Oh my God. Mother? You? Wow!

"So today is March tenth. You know for sure you missed one in February and maybe January."

"I'm pretty sure I did," I said, reality sinking in. "And my best guess is that I conceived somewhere between Christmas and New Year's."

"I take it this baby is a surprise?"

"Yes." To say the least.

"You're married?"

"Yes," I said, trying to gain control.

"Would he be supportive?"

I nodded and dabbed at my eyes with the tissue. "Yes, he is part of my life, and he's wonderful." I think he'll be supportive.

"Good. And let's get you scheduled for an ultrasound."

An hour later, I pulled at my home and sat behind the wheel of my car, staring out the windshield but seeing nothing.

September nineteen. That was my due date.

I was nearly thirteen weeks along.

I'd scheduled an ultrasound after two weeks, at which I'd be able to see and probably even hear the baby's heartbeat.

Valiance And Love | ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें